Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tweak the Tweakset!

Hi all,

Is it possible to "tweak" the "Locking Popup" tweak to work when using the mouseover popup layer setting (instead of the tweaks default "on click" popup layers) so it would make a mouseover pop up layer stay visible even when user clicks elsewhere?

Steve

Default Re: Tweak the Tweakset!

Steve - Are you asking if the pop-up can remain popped up after your visitor has moved on to something else?

Good question.

The first thing comes to mind would be to recreate the entire page with the pop up. So you go to a duplicate page but a page with an area or message that was not on the original page. So it would not really be a pop up, it would just give the same idea.

But surely there must be an easier way.

The easiest way to describe what I'm after is if you take a look at the Locking pop-ups example in the Tweakset html examples.

What I hoped to achieve was instead of having to "click" on the icons to get the popups I wondered if it was possible for the same effect but with a "mouseover"

Steve

First of all, yes it is possible to write such tweak, like almost anything else.
    But it is not a simple change to the locking popups tweak, it's a bit more complicated.

So, I can make it only if I find it useful and important enough for the effort. And sincerely, I don't.

Generally it is a bad practice to freeze on-hover popups. They may be activated unintentionally by the visitor. He may even not realize where this comes from. This conflicts with the interface concept of the on hover interactions. They are supposed to cease on mouse out.

So, even if such functionality already existed in WD I would strongly discourage anyone from using it. And since it doesn't, I find it a mostly useless and even slightly dangerous extension.

I may change my mind if you manage to convince me of the usefulness of such improvement though.
    John.