Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Simpleviewer and image gallery

This is a problem I've run into before, so I know I'm doing something wrong.

I'm using simpleviewer, through the picasa template. I associated a graphic on one of my pages with the viewer.swf file through placeholder, and simpleviewer, or at least the designation of it, appears on my page--with a message that the image gallery is not found.

I placed the image and thumbnails folders, along with all the other simpleviewer files, in the file where my .web project lives. I've double-checked everything. How can I get the program to find the images folder? I tried adding another placeholder graphic and associating it the gallery .xml html code but that didn't work either.

Default Re: Simpleviewer and image gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon Slade View Post
    I placed the image and thumbnails folders, along with all the other simpleviewer files, in the file where my .web project lives.
    It's not important to place the SimpleViewer files and folders with the .web file, but it is important to place them with the .htm files (i.e., your exported website).

Thanks, but I've tried that too. I've placed the files everywhere but under my pillow, and still it's "gallery not found." The provided index.html that was generated for my selection of pictures works, just not my Xara project. So it's something about my web design. All I've done there is create a sufficiently large graphic placeholder and associate it with the flash file, viewer.swf. I'm stumped.

This has been discussed before:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=37692
    and
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?p=310224

An online example (with details) was posted here.

Remember for WD preview to work, you MUST export your .web to your HDD first (see online example for additional notes on this).
    This is because after the first export, the WD previewer runs the exported site and not the temp cache. Running the temp cache only caches the vewier.swf and NOT all the files required to run SIMPLEVIEWER.

Just for the record, I had read both of those threads and seen the online example. Plus I always export my .web file to the HDD. I had the gallery and everything else in the export folder.

As before, I solved the problem by doing something else. I'm using the Picasa online slide viewer linked from my site. It worked immediately the first time. I would love to know why I'm continuing to have problems with flash files when I do seem to be doing what is required. But I can always figure a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon Slade View Post
    I would love to know why I'm continuing to have problems with flash files when I do seem to be doing what is required.
    Zip up the .web file of the page which contains the placeholder for the viewer and the set of SimpleViewer files and post them here. Let's see if we can find the problem.

Perhaps this quick video will help?

DOWNLOAD 1.8mb

Or Play inline [ * Press ► to start and allow to buffer]

Well it helped me...

Many Thanks

Is Porta and Simpleviewer the same thing? I'm trying to follow your setup instructions with Porta and can't get it to work so far...maybe I have them confused...

PORTA gives your the option to create either HTML galleries or SIMPLEVIEWER Galleries.
    So yes, when choosing the SIMPLEVIEWER option, it is the same thing.