Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utter twittery

Default Utter twittery

When I was a lad growing up in the UK it was common to call and be called a 'twit' which was a jovial way of calling someone a 'twerp' which in itself was a nicer way of calling someone a contemptible fool
    Mostly though it was (is) used in the nicest possible way

Now I hear people are twittering over the web and being followed by other twits?

What are all these twitters actually doing and....why

Please could someone explain before I go back to my home planet and report.

Default Re: Utter twittery

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a twit or a twitterer. Can't see anyone wanting to 'follow' me in my enthralling life. Can't see point of being inundated with mail/texts telling me so-and-so has just been to the bathroom or fed the cat. I think Twitter has been set up by the government[s] a) to keep an ear on us, and b) to keep us busy and looking the other way.

End of mini-rant ... feel better now ... just sneezed ...
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Perhaps twittery is to stop the constant "I'm bored" so many young people complain about. I know my son did (he is 39 now ) and my oldest granddaughter also was constantly bored according to her.

She is to be married next year.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I deal with 'twits' on a daily basis and can be a twit on certain subjects myself (I must admit) depending on the day and how much sleep I've had. I, too, have absolutely no desire to 'twit' or 'twitter' someone else. My, my, after writing that out it sounds most perverted. Besides my immediate family, this forum and a limited pool of others I have absolutely no desire to hear from other people I do know, let alone people I don't know.

I have referred to deserving others as twits in the derogatory sense for over 30 years now and I find it difficult to attach any other meaning to the word.

For those that have missed it, and those that haven't seen it for some time, here's the classic Monty Python Upperclass Twit of the Year skit for your viewing pleasure (circa late '60s or early '70s). "And Oliver has run himself over. What a great twit!" You've gotta love it.

Cheers,
    Harry

Great to see that again! Sadly, 40 years on there's still a lot of Jervais Brook-Hamster's descendants about
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Does anyone here partake in this twitter twaddle?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Does anyone here partake in this twitter twaddle?
    I think that if the y do they're unlikely to say so now..

Twitter is just an evolution of the facebook generation.

No, I don't twitter, but I know of it and generally what it does.

Twitter and the tweets!

t'wit... t'who ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I actually use twitter, almost daily. I find it quite effective to find interesting links (tutorials, inspirational art etc) and sometimes I'm too lazy too bookmark so I just tweet the link so I can look it up later. And something I can recommend is twitter search and you'll find a lot of good links and info (yes, Google is good but sometimes alternatives are good too). And another thing I recommend is to use a twitter client like twhirl or tweetdeck to keep track of everything (a lot easier than using the twitter web page).

And no, I'm not interested in people who tweet when they get up, drink their coffee or go to the bathroom, nor do I feel like sharing such things either.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm