Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all.

I'm currently using CorelDraw 9. Tried upgrading to v10 and later v11 but went quickly back to v9. Speed with v11 is appalling on my Win2K system. v10 was just bad generally.

Can't get my head around Illustrator's node editing and shape tools so, looks like I'm stuck with CorelDraw.

I'm now considering upgrading to v12. The question is am I going to regret it and find myself once again listing it on ebay after a few weeks use. I don't believe I should have to upgrade Win2K to XP just to run one fussy app so, if there is anyone out there using v12, on Win2K, I would be interested to here how it performs.

Irrespective of the OS, I would be interested to know how most users are finding performance and stability.

Many thanks

Sark
    IP

Hi all.

I'm currently using CorelDraw 9. Tried upgrading to v10 and later v11 but went quickly back to v9. Speed with v11 is appalling on my Win2K system. v10 was just bad generally.

Can't get my head around Illustrator's node editing and shape tools so, looks like I'm stuck with CorelDraw.

I'm now considering upgrading to v12. The question is am I going to regret it and find myself once again listing it on ebay after a few weeks use. I don't believe I should have to upgrade Win2K to XP just to run one fussy app so, if there is anyone out there using v12, on Win2K, I would be interested to here how it performs.

Irrespective of the OS, I would be interested to know how most users are finding performance and stability.

Many thanks

Sark
    IP

Hi Sark,
    I ran CorelDRAW12 on Windows 2000 pro for some time before upgrading my machine to XP pro. I had no performance related issues. Draw12 seems to make better use of available memory ... the more you have, the faster it runs. It would also be a major upgrade for you if you are using version 9. Several new features have been added which I think you will like.

Draw12 is faster and more stable on my machine than previous versions. If you're going to live or die by CorelDRAW ... I would make the upgrade.

Have you tried XaraX?

-Ed.
    IP

I have been using Corel Draw since version 3 and 12 is well worth the upgrade, I am running it on 2K and XP and have had one crash in two and a half months. It does seem to be faster (especially with large groups of objects) and the Snap to enhancements are worth the price of the upgrade alone. Go for it. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
    IP

Thanks for the input.

Well it does seem encouraging. The new elipse and rectangle tools that were added in v11 are enough to make me want to buy it. With the new tools in v12 it does seem the time to buy, was just worried about stability and speed.

I don't have a fast enough connection to download and try a demo so, will have to just bite the bullet, buy it, and hope all runs well.

Thanks for the replies, there much appreciated.

Sark

PS...Yes I have tried Xara X but, there are a few functions not available I would miss and I still think Draw has the best Node and Shape editing tools available.
    IP

Well, Sark,

I would not be so encourged. I guess if I were you and already had CDR11 I would stick with version 11 for right now, and get used to it in the meantime... especially since version 10, 11, 12 have a lot in common in terms of interface. I don't know your level of proficiency and just what you do with CorelDRAW and these would determine just how many bugs and limitations you'd find in CDR12. But I've found CDR12 very buggy compared to CDR11... no, not crashes, just things done wrong, and sometimes obvious goofs... As for speed and stability, I didn't notice any significant difference on WinXP Pro on AMD_XP2500+ and 1GB RAM (compared to CDR11). Stability doesn't seem to be an issue, either. Of course, CDR11 is somewhat more resource hunry and hence slower than CDR9, same goes for CDR12. But some obvious bugs are present... so I have reverted to CDR11 and I guess I should at least wait for some kind of major update or patch.

just my 2 cents. IMHO.
    PS: they didn't even manage correct context menus... sorry, folks, this IS a bug, just like some others.

PSS: I've found little use for new smart drawing tools (aka shape recognition) and I generally find CDR 11-style node editing easier. The obvious pluses would be dynamic guides and alignment/snapping enhancements. Also, some users will appreciate Unicode support in cdr12 (at long last!!!!).
    Yes, it's me.
    IP

Even though I'm primarily a XaraX user like Ed, I am a die hard Corel fan and upgrade when I can. 12 was MUCH better, IMHO, than 10 or 11. 11 I gave away I was so disgusted. 12 runs smoother and while there ARE some noticable bugs I think that it's worth the upgrade price if you are going to use for small business or personal use and it's your preferred vector program.

The bugs I notice the most are mostly interface. The dockable dialogs do not display right, icons and type boxes dissapear and I'm still waiting for Corel to jump on the band wagon and introduce a nice bevel tool. The fills, transparency and shadow tools are a bit better and the new guides are kinda neat but sometimes do get a bit bothersome when they are constantly popping up, so I think they are really better off OFF! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what the SP 2 for version 11 did fix and if things are better but I'm afraid I can't test that out.

Photopaint was all but ignored so that really pissed me off as I really love Photopaint and it really needs some TLC. If Corel is really serious about regaining lost market shares then they have to spend it (time and dollars) to win it back. While I think 12 is a good upgrade I don't think I would have plunked down the money for the full version, not worth it!!

Just my 2¢ http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

IP

Hi
    I use CorelDraw because I have to, compatability with other users, commercial printers etc. and because I don't use Illustrator.
    I now use version 12, upgraded from 9 and it's much better in my opinion, runs fine with XP pro, but you still come to do something that you take for granted in Xara and get the 'this operation cannot be performed or some such' message and have to start messing about in Photopaint etc.
    If, (when) I can do everything I need too in Xara I'll uninstall CorelDraw like a shot, until then; well it's better than it was (version 9) though I can't compare to 10 or 11.

derek
    IP

HI,
    I still using CD 8, the old one, considering it's still reliable and more user friendly to me.
    My boss was always told me to upgrade it to 10 like the others computers. But I still using the 8.
    Believe or not, I was always the first man finishing my job (I'm a fashion designer) by using CR 8,
    Until now, I already open my own designer business. Guess what? I still using the 8.
    All my clients really suprised when found out I still using the 8.
    BTW, I tried the CR 12, and I felt that the 8 still reliable for doing my job.

Thanks
    IP