Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cushy cms

Thumbs up Re: cushy cms

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Thanks J2R. It's populating a fixed placeholder and I guess it does the job. People would need to take care that they understand that the example only has a particular panel that is under the control of the CMS and the rest is static.
    No, it's not static. I see the dynamic page tweak is used in this page. The page is resized when downloaded to fit the content. If you are lucky (i.e. have a slow enough connection ), you can notice how the page is stretched dynamically.

Nice use of the dynamic page tweak.
    John.

Default Re: cushy cms

Static in the sense that the content doesn't change..

I use an old freeware program called Open Site Editor which uses ASP script to create an editable (textarea) page. This is basically a blank page that is set up to be editable using the <!--BEGIN EDITABLE-->
    (this is where your editable content goes)
    <!--END EDITABLE--> tags.
    This page exists on your server and is independent of the XWD pages that are uploaded. Then I use the placeholder function of XWD to insert this page into the XWD page. It works very well for me. If you don't have asp capabilities, there are other freeware programs that can do the same thing. The key is to create the content page as a separate page and insert using a placeholder. When publishing your page (frontpage, dreamweaver) make sure that you have the content page set to "not publish" (after you have everything set up) otherwise you will overwrite you client's current page with your initial set up page.

Simple CMS from http://www.phpjabbers.com/ seems to work OK
    "Second class fairway is better than first class rough!"

Quote Originally Posted by Macultra20 View Post
    I use an old freeware program called Open Site Editor which uses ASP script to create an editable (textarea) page. This is basically a blank page that is set up to be editable using the <!--BEGIN EDITABLE-->
    (this is where your editable content goes)
    <!--END EDITABLE--> tags.
    This page exists on your server and is independent of the XWD pages that are uploaded. Then I use the placeholder function of XWD to insert this page into the XWD page. It works very well for me. If you don't have asp capabilities, there are other freeware programs that can do the same thing. The key is to create the content page as a separate page and insert using a placeholder. When publishing your page (frontpage, dreamweaver) make sure that you have the content page set to "not publish" (after you have everything set up) otherwise you will overwrite you client's current page with your initial set up page.
    I have tried to find and download Open Site Editor, but developer's web page is not containing it any more. Anyone have valid download URL?

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 10 September 2009 at 03:53 AM.

I have been using cushy cms for a couple of sites I'm developing and find it to work very well. The previous comments are correct about giving up some of the effects that can be done within XWD however this isn't much of a sacrifice with regard to standard text. To place the "cushycms" tag on a block of text simply create your text block, allocate the size of the text area and then click on the text and add the "cushycms" as an html tag using the placeholder function. You can also do this with images. I'm still getting accustomed to how it works but it's the best option I've found. Plus side to surreal is that it's totally free as long as you aren't concerned about private labeling.

Thumbs up Re: cushy cms

Quote Originally Posted by subrosa View Post
    To place the "cushycms" tag on a block of text simply create your text block, allocate the size of the text area and then click on the text and add the "cushycms" as an html tag using the placeholder function.
    Hey Subrosa, could you please explain exactly what the html tag needs to say as I've tried to achieve this myself buy cannot seem to get it right.

I'm trying to enable the 'Next races' block of text on this website as editable content for the end-user to change at a later date.

http://www.floorpainters.co.uk/cadg/index.htm

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,

Matt

This might be out of left field for this thread, but I'm desperate for some CMS help and because of my inexperience on IT side, it's mind numbing

I’m looking for some help in solving a dilemma I’m having in creating a custom CMS for my website that was created in WD6…actually I’m approaching the desperate stage of solving this problem.

Some background: I have few technical/IT skills but I created my website, www.the247newsroom.com with WD6 and I’m pleased with the site’s overall look. WD6 is a terrific program and especially good for a pure content person like myself. It’s hard to beat the WYSIWYG approach. Most of the pages on my site are relatively static. So when I have changes to make changes in a few sections, I can easily make the changes and upload the edited page without a hassle.

But here’s the problem:
    I have a section called: “Media News At This Hour.” In this section I want the content to be dynamic. For example, in the early morning I post detailed content about changes, development and personnel shifts in the broadcast news industry. That’s fine and easy to do, but the problem comes when I want to update at several other points throughout the day…pasting in fresh content as it develops during the day.

Obviously it also becomes a potential nightmare trying to archive all this content.

I’d like my users to be able to call-up that content at some later time…in effect creating a CMS system so people can retrieve that story.
    I’ve had a ton of suggested solutions of how to do it in WD6…some of which are from these boards

People have suggested that I convert the entire website to WordPress…which of course takes me away from WD6…and costs me time and ultimately money.

Some have suggested that I have a CMS system built in WordPress and then tie it into that “News At This Hour” using I-frames…another has suggested some sort of Feedburner configuration and tie it in. Another suggestion is to use Google docs but one moderator, Steve Ledger, didn’t think that would work for me. I think Steve is right. The Iframes look clunky and I can’t seem to master creating the CMS in Wordpress.

Realizing my limitation I decided to reach out for some professional help.
    So, after going around and around, I solicited freelance help online at freelance.com and bid the work out, ultimately winding up with a person thousands of miles away. Unfortunately there have been some communication barriers in getting this right. Clearly the person didn’t understand the program and template environment of WD6.

Actually this morning we mutually agreed to cancel the project…the Xara software is something that he’s not familiar with and was suggesting a total rebuild of my site.
    So here I am, stuck a
    nd trying to figure out what to do next. The technical issues are beyond me. Can anyone direct me to a person, place or solution?
    Although my IT skills are limited I’ve found solutions to my WD6 issues, but I can’t seem to get my head or skills around the CMS issue.
    My site is up and almost ready to go – http://www.the247newsroom.com but this cms/archive problem is a mind-numbing mystery for me.

I’d like to stick with WD without have the whole site having to be rebuilt in Wordpress.

It does help and thank you. Let me check out your site and see the specifics. You probably are much tougher in evaluating it, but do you find the differences considerable -visibile to the routine user? Is it costly to convert the site over to WordPress. At this point, after so much work on Design 6, it breaks my heart to have to go back and think about doing the whole thing in WordPress...I'm not sure I have the energy. But the I-frames look chunky and not quite right.
    If you get a chance, I would value any input on my site:
    http://www.the247newsroom.com
    Thanks again

Slavelle,

Your trunorthadvisors.com link gives me this message in Opera, perhaps you'd like to investigate what's going on ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	75080  
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.