Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Cool [Tip] Objects can be full pixel sizes automatically

Hello Everyone!

I just thought I would drop in this tip. I read somewhere in this forum about folks having troubles with boxes and such having pixel measurements like 28.8 or 32.2 etc. This causes problems when rendering the object/shape in a browser because it is not a whole number (i.e. 28px or 32px).

If you want to avoid this problem from the very start, here's what you need to do:

1. Go to Utilities>Options..>Grid and Ruler and set the Major Spacing to 1pix and the Number of Subdivisions to 1

2. Now go to Window and click to enable Snap to Grid

Voila! Now everything you do is in whole pixels and you no longer have problems with weird artifacts and stuff like white lines beside graphics and text boxes. It's alot easier and faster than manually typing in your measurements in the sizing boxes for Width and Height.

This should be a more prominent setting for a Web Design program, so hopefully someone involved with it's design will take notice. Vector graphics need the additional precision, but the web is based on whole pixels.

Hope that helps everyone!

Now, I am off to find a solution to my own problems... Again.

Default Re: Making full pixel adjustments for web design

Welcome to TG Forums Robobugs,

You are correct and thank you for reminding members who knew and bringing this to the attention of those who were unaware.
    One thing to note however robobugs, is that the browser doesn't need to try and render an object which isn't a whole number because WD will always round-up when creating and exporting the bitmap. This may cause some images to become antialiased along edges, but they will always be whole pixels.
    But it is better to start with accuracy as you say.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: [Tip] Objects can be full pixel sizes automatically

Great tip Robo! I've re-titled this thread to highlight it is a tip and hopefully make it clearer what the tip is about.

Regarding the tip; I assume once following your tip a template could be made so you needn't reset things everytime you start a new document.

Regards, Ross