Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle for Ed

Very nice Ed,

Guess you can replicate rows and columns to get a larger size. At least with the puzzle that has uniform shapes.

I was wondering if I could use a PS selection of the slicer from AVB to make a vector drawing. I have read about making a selection into a vector mask, and saving the mask to a file format.

I was looking at making adjustments to the slicer, and could see the result on screen while I was making the adjustments.

Rich

Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen.

Rich,
    I took your lobe3.xar and added columns and rows to make a 144 pc puzzle ... then added a slight bevel (see xar file below).

It wasn't as easy as it would seem ... there are some slight variances in the uniformity of the pieces ... which multiplies with the number of pieces you add. I couldn't figure out a way to eliminate the discrepancies by combining/slicing, so I think this is about all we are going to get unless (like you say) a template can be saved in vector.

This has been a fun exercise http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Attached Files Attached Files

i tried again with Ed's 144pc. the bad thing is the quality after exporting it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROXPUZ.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	15007  
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Ed,

I think you could use the single knife and make a 3 X 3 puzzle. I joined the lines and estimated the positions. So, you would get accumulative errors. Just need to make a better drawing.

I was trying the Express method. I made a blank image and opened it in PS. I used the AVB plugin and adjusted the parameters. I performed the cut, and saved to PSD. I wanted wide black lines between the pieces. I picked that layer and loaded the selection from the alpha channel. Then filled the selection. The file was save to a TIF. Still not sure about 1 bit TIFFs in PS. Opened the file in X1 and added a border, and exported to a 1 bit TIFF. I opened the file in Express, and point and traced each area. I copied the objects to the clipboard and pasted into X1 as a WMF. I found some artifacs, and deleted them. Performed smoothing to reduce the nodes. So, this is a non repeating puzzle.

Rich

Hi Mike,
    Nice puzzle of Roxie. How much compression are you using on your jpeg export. I generally set my jpeg quality to 85 or higher (so long as the exported file is no larger than 100k). You might also play with a touch less bevel to get more clarity out of the photo ... it's a "trial and error" thing.

part of the problem is to the pics i have average 2-3 meg. and are about 1024x768 or larger. but i am having fun with everyones puzzle .xars that have been posting. they look great b4 i compress them http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif i am tempted to print one out and use some spray adhesive and card board and make a real puzzle. would like to do it in wood but i dont have a clue as how to do that so anyway i dont have the time for that fun stuff anyway. (SIGH)

oh well back to tending to my sick little baby.
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Mike,
    You'll have to take a pic of your cardboard puzzle ... gotta see that.

Rich,
    Here is a puzzle using p2.xar ... with a couple of cuts.

Name:	Flower_puzzle.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	1723  

Where is that white bar coming from? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

ED,

I found a line segment above the top of the pieces. I did a selection and saw the handles. I didn't see it otherwise. Rich

Name:	artifact.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	3943  

I found another shape within the pieces. It looked like a shape, but I couldn't apply a fill. Rich