Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawg wild!

Default Hawg wild!

Im trying something new lately. I got me a new Wacom graphics tablet and been playing around with it. well this piece was started as a sketch done with pencil and paper, then I scanned it and I traced the lines with Xtreme, much easier to draw with than illustrator and I exported the lines to PSD and then proceeded to paint it in photoshop. Most of it was done using a mouse but I did use my tablet to add the shading and the highlights and some details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hawgmascot1.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	60671  
    Last edited by a4hire; 08 May 2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Default Re: Hawg wild!

I got me a new Wacom graphics tablet
    Congratulations

I too like to do cartoons and I used a drawing tablet once, a long time ago. I cannot remember the manufacturer of the tablet, but it was not Wacom, I know that. I could not get on with it at all. I wonder how long it takes to get used to using one, I think I gave it a couple of days before I unplugged it and went back to my mouse.

Thank you Mike and Kinetica
    well I did not like to use the tablet in Xara Xtreme. it was clunky and did not work right. I tried to use the free hand tool and you just can not get it to act like a real pen or pencil. It is much easier to draw with the tablet in Illustrator or photoshop. So now I find my self using a combination of different programs.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Very nice Bruce. I have to agree, that there is not a perfect program, but xara is pretty durn close in my book.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thanks John, yes Xtreme is still one of my favorite programs. If only I could sketch in it like I can in Illustrator and paint like I do in Photoshop.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Hello

I understand what you mean. Photoshop and Illustrator certainly have their uses but in my case I have never painted better in Photoshop than I have with a brush and a few tubes of primary colours, and I have never sketched better in Illustrator than I have with a scrap of paper and a 2B pencil. It's then that I run over it in ink, scan it, import it into Xara and trace it, and then colour it in.

I do wish, though, that Xara had a twain facility. It really is about time it did.

Quote Originally Posted by a4hire View Post
    Thank you Mike and Kinetica
    well I did not like to use the tablet in Xara Xtreme. it was clunky and did not work right. I tried to use the free hand tool and you just can not get it to act like a real pen or pencil. It is much easier to draw with the tablet in Illustrator or photoshop. So now I find my self using a combination of different programs.
    Congrats on your new tablet...
    By the way don't be put off the tablet if at first you don't warm to it to the same degree that you had hoped...
    I made this mistake... i was disappointed that it was not "the answer to life the universe and everything", but eventually reversed many of my initial biases over time (it took me nearly 2 years as i was so miffed i couldn't even bring myself to use it initially)....as you will (even though you may not see how this could happen in the light of your current disappointments...) ...it will...
    This will start to occur when you actually start to prefer it to a mouse or can use it just about as well as a mouse generally. There is more of a learning curve than you would expect....good luck....

Thank you Morphonius
    yes there is a bit of a learning curve with the tablet, I am still learning, I just need to use it more and become comfortable with it as you have said.
    Bruce
    Artist For Hire

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

This has been brought up before in the Xtreme forums if you hold down the esc key with some sort of weight it is easier to draw with a tablet. I use a small beach rock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.