Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi folks, thanks for reading this. Hope you can help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm having, what i assume to be, a problem with my drawing tools. I searched the help files, and the Web, but have yet found nothing on this.

This "quirk" has to do with the fact that when i pick a drawing tool to create a primary shape, and then i start to draw with it, i never see any kind of "marquee" (ala Photoshop's selection marquees) of my shape to show me what it looks like WHILE i'm drawing it. I see nothing except the little "snap-to" circle image. But no per-outline of the shape i'm creating.

How can one create a shape the size they need it, and placed where they need it within a design/layout BEFORE they let go of the mouse, and Flash renders the image???

The way i have to do it now just sucks! It's so primitive and wastes a lot of my time.
    I have to very loosely start the shape where i want it, and GUESS at it's "actual" size and shape, then let go the mouse button and after Flash renders it, then i have to fine tune it's height and width, etc using the scale tool. This is NOT a "flaw" i would expect a program of this calibre to have... nuh-uh! No-way! Unacceptable!

Is this problem to do with perhaps just my program, or does anyone know if this is actually a flaw with the program in general?

PS: i've always had this problem and just lived with it. But figured since the new forums are here, i may as well try and find out more about it, and if there's a reason/solution for it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Mark...
    IP

Hi folks, thanks for reading this. Hope you can help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm having, what i assume to be, a problem with my drawing tools. I searched the help files, and the Web, but have yet found nothing on this.

This "quirk" has to do with the fact that when i pick a drawing tool to create a primary shape, and then i start to draw with it, i never see any kind of "marquee" (ala Photoshop's selection marquees) of my shape to show me what it looks like WHILE i'm drawing it. I see nothing except the little "snap-to" circle image. But no per-outline of the shape i'm creating.

How can one create a shape the size they need it, and placed where they need it within a design/layout BEFORE they let go of the mouse, and Flash renders the image???

The way i have to do it now just sucks! It's so primitive and wastes a lot of my time.
    I have to very loosely start the shape where i want it, and GUESS at it's "actual" size and shape, then let go the mouse button and after Flash renders it, then i have to fine tune it's height and width, etc using the scale tool. This is NOT a "flaw" i would expect a program of this calibre to have... nuh-uh! No-way! Unacceptable!

Is this problem to do with perhaps just my program, or does anyone know if this is actually a flaw with the program in general?

PS: i've always had this problem and just lived with it. But figured since the new forums are here, i may as well try and find out more about it, and if there's a reason/solution for it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Mark...
    IP

I've never had this problem myself, Mark. I wish I could be more help - I've never seen this problem with Flash 3 or 4, regardless of the build. I haven't used 5, yet, so I can't say on that one. Do you see this behaviour with any other programs (I suppose a good thing to test would be other Macromedia programs, especially). If there is a corrupt shared library or something of the sort, then this error could appear across multiple applications, no? That's the only thing I can think of. Sorry this isn't more help! Maybe if you want to try and e-mail me a copy of one of your .flas? Just a simple one to see if I can reproduce the problem?

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Have you checked the tech notes at www.macromedia.com/support/flash ? It sounds like it might be a video card problem to me, I think I read about this before somewhere else. I know thats not much help but hey I did my best. If you cant find any joy, ask support at MM. Regards, Bill

Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.

[This message was edited by theKeeper on September 10, 2000 at 02:04 AM.]
    Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    IP

Ok thanks muchly guys, i appreciate your time on this. Come to think of it, ya Bill, it may very well be a G-card thing. It never dawned on me that actually, it does have all the makings of such. And no, i didn't checkout MM's Technotes yet, i'll do that anyway, thx.

Making a sample .fla wouldn't reProduce this effect either Deep. It's an OS kinda thing, and not something that can be 'saved' into, or be part of the file.
    Thx anywho [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

PS: Bill i edited your post to add the ".com" in your url (in case anyone else clicks it), you forgot that part. Doh!

Take care guys, thanks again.
    I'll let you know if i ever get this sorted out too - so other can be enlightened. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mark...
    IP

Hey guys...

Well the problem is solved fellas thanks once more. And thanks Bill for the note about checking MM's site for the Technotes. They did have something there about it and in fact it was my card's version of driver that was the culprit.

I've updated it and it worked for me.

All is well in the kingdom once again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Later,
    Mark...
    IP