Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Menu

Default Menu

I understand that Search Engine Crawlers cannot follow links in Navbars of the type created in MenuMaker. Is this true? If so, is there a work-around?
    Last edited by cbutton69; 07 May 2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I accidentally submitted it before I was ready
    Charlie

Default Re: Menu

Hi Charlie,

I don't think crawlers can follow MenuMaker navbars because they don't exists as text outside of a javascript file. The links are generated as the requested page is sent to the viewers computer.

Covoxers answer in the Web Designer forum is an authoritative answer from Xara Ltd. He is a Xara Ltd developer and works on the html export code.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes,Bill, I know Covoxer's answer is definitive. And I understand why it is so. But the last part of my post was, "is there a work-around? I've got several web sites that use navbars created by MenuMaker, and I'm concerned that they don't do well with search engines. Some of them don't matter because people who visit them know their URLs, but this isn't true for all of them.
    Charlie

I don't see a way to work around it. You would need to totally replace the MenuMaker navbar.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I don't see a way to work around it. You would need to totally replace the MenuMaker navbar.
    I'm afraid you're right, Bill, but I was hoping.
    Charlie

It's a usual practice to add a small tex "navbar" at the bottom of your page to back up the main navbar function. It often looks like this:

home :: products :: offers :: contacts

It's relatively easy to do, and it will add both searchability and accessibility to your site.
    I would suggest adding such things to all serioous pages because they are often easier to navigate than grahpic menus (for exmple if you use mobile phone browser).
    John.

Thanks John. I remember you mentioning this in another thread. Now that I see it again.

I think young people (anyone under 50 years of age from my perspective are the only people that can see the web on a mobile phone.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    It's a usual practice to add a small tex "navbar" at the bottom of your page to back up the main navbar function.
    Thanks much, John, I should have thought of that myself. Senior moment, I guess
    Charlie