Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
The endusers are creating new pages with new content (including different content types like text, tables, images, videos, ...). And such systems are offering integrated WYSIWYG editors, of course, so that the enduser is able to see what he get. The endusers are often called "editors" in such environments.
So, if the "end user" is an author of the site he has to hire the qualified "Webdesigner" to do the design. Or, alternatively, learn and create it on his own. This works great, except that it requires a lot of work.
Often there is also an Administrator for the CMS or blog system (depends on the size of the company or other factors).
Yes, you can't get away without administrating if the amount of content is large.
So, this is a division of responsibilities.
Perfect. But not efficient if you are not creating something large with a low budget. Otherwise, it's always better to hire a professional photographer to take pictures you need, professional designer to create site design, professional programmers to write code and professional administrators and SEO experts to maintain it. The result will be always better than doing everything on your own. But if you can't afford it, it will not work for you this way.
Using different templates for CMS or blog systems is very easy.
Absolutely easy. But creating new, unique templates is hard.
Creating your own template is also easy.
Saying that it's easy, you have to mention comparing to what. Of course it is easier than, for example, writing your own web server, but comparing to designer's tools it can't be called easy.
There are a lot of tutorials available, which are teaching you how to create a new template or customize a given template.
Yes there are a lot, but this doesn't change anything. It's much easier to create your design in Dreamweaver than the similarly looking template for CMS. And of course, it is much easier and faster to create a design in WD.
It depends on the Webdesigner and/or Webdeveloper, what kind of layout he is designing for his CMS or blog system. In the case of Wordpress there is a great website available, which shows the different layouts, talented Webdesigners were able to create. It's called We love WP.
So, does it mean that creating those templates was as easy as creating a site design in WD?
In the case of Typo3 I could recommend a lot of different websites, in order to see what's possible with this CMS, but I will limit it to a special website: The website from MAGIX (owner of Xara Ltd.). They show how to use Typo3 together with some flash content and a nice layout.
Yes, good example. Everyone who has the same budget for creating and maintaining website can do just the same.
I've seen your JavaScript based tweak you're offering as a workaround, but I if you look at templates of popular CMS and/or blog systems, you'll find more flexible layouts with variable lenghts and sometimes also variable widths.
Yes, of course. This approach is not very flexible from the content layout point of view. But the use of the CMS templates is just as inflexible from the design point of view. Though I'm not sure if any non professional CMS users ever care about the design, the choice of existing templates is usually enough.