Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding new content to website & creating an icon?

Hi everybody,

I am editing a musicreview website, so i want to add a new review at the top of my page. (above all the previous added content) (like a blog) but, what to do with all the other content thats on that page? Can i easily move it or do i have to group it all in order to move it down?

Need some help there :-)

furthermore,

i was wondering if i could create an icon for my site, so when you open the browser you'll see it next to your site-name. (like the red-square with tg for this site)

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers, Vanderwhite

Default Re: Adding new content to website & creating an icon?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Vanderwhite

Hmm? That's a tough one. If your reviews are all text then you can extend the text area and add your new text to the top. But if you have graphics such as disc covers, etc. it is going to be harder.

Your second question is easier to answer. The small logo/icon is called a favicon. This can be created with a free program called icoFx

It creates an .ico image file. Select the 16 x 16 pixel size option. Save your icon with the name favicon.ico

Place this in the same directory as your index.htm(l) file. The browsers will see this and display it.

There is an easier way that shall be revealed very soon.

Come on gary let us have a heads up about the April release ......

Oke...great. Very glad with the answer on the second question. Too bad that you can't do the adding thing in a blog(ish) way. Now i have to group everthing. Anyway if you find a better way...let me know

thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics Vanderwhite

Hmm? That's a tough one. If your reviews are all text then you can extend the text area and add your new text to the top. But if you have graphics such as disc covers, etc. it is going to be harder.

Your second question is easier to answer. The small logo/icon is called a favicon. This can be created with a free program called icoFx

It creates an .ico image file. Select the 16 x 16 pixel size option. Save your icon with the name favicon.ico

Place this in the same directory as your index.htm(l) file. The browsers will see this and display it.

There is an easier way that shall be revealed very soon.
    I think i made a mistake. i've downloaded the program, created a new file 16x16 (true colour + alpha), and made an icon. saved it flavicon.ico (windows icon) and put it in the directory index.htm. i re-published my site and i cleaned the browser cache. It still doesn't appear. What to do now?

thanx

Is may take some time. If you can, preview your site in another browser. It should show up there.

Some ISPs cache all sites on your computer and make it very hard to refresh the content. But if you have another browser, and have not visited your site recently, then it should appear.

If you want to post a link to your site we can have a look and confirm its presence or absence.

I don't use any other browser than google chrome. I think i've done it correctly, so maybe it turns up later, or when u open it.

www.musaqazha.net (still has a lot of work to do) :-)

thanks for your help..

Quote Originally Posted by vanderwhite View Post
    I think i made a mistake. i've downloaded the program, created a new file 16x16 (true colour + alpha), and made an icon. saved it flavicon.ico (windows icon) and put it in the directory index.htm. i re-published my site and i cleaned the browser cache. It still doesn't appear. What to do now?

thanx
    1. Check your spelling - I assume "flavicon.ico" is just a typo in your post and you actually created favicon.ico instead.
    2. I haven't created a favicon for a couple years now but when I last did I included several versions with different sizes (16x16,32x32) and different colour depths (256, true colour) - the free program I used back then created them all in the one file so that browsers could choose the best/preferred option. Mine didn't have an alpha channel though as it's a solid rectangle (transparency can be a mess when you don't know what colour background you may have).

Thanks, i will check it out tomorrow and let you know.

I still don't know what i'm doing wrong. I can't save more favicon's because i can save only one time that file, it will overwrite the other file. I've done it a couple of times with 32x32, 16x16, 24x24 and different colourformats, but still nothing.
    I looks so stupid with no proper icon. :-)

Thanks anyway