Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Estimating Web Size

Although I've long been a user of Xara Xtreme and its earlier versions, I have recently been having fun creating a site in Web Designer. It's to bew my first web site. Having taught children cartooning for over 25 years, I decided to create a web site for teaching kids cartooning. I now have five lessons and 24 pages. How can I estimate or calculate the size of my site before I find a place to host it ? and a means to send it aloft ?
    Thanks, Neil

Default Re: Estimating Web Size

Open file explorer, navigate to the folder where you exported your files for the web. Right click on the folder and view the properties. That will give you a pretty good idea.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Hi Neil

Export your pages (the "index_htm_files" folder will go with them) to a folder on your desktop. Right click on the folder and select 'properties' for the size.

You can FTP your files - upload them - directly from XWD, but you need certain information first, details such as user name, password, route, which the host will supply.

Just noticed your post Grace, must learn to type quicker
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Smile Re: Estimating Web Size

Thanks! Grace and John. Haven't been on TalkGraphics for several years, but I remember the speedy replies, wonderful suggestions and great help with graphic ideas. I'm pleased the tradition continues. Thanks. (It still amazes me that I, in little Nova Scotia, Canada can get almost instant help from the UK and California.)

Glad to be able to help - I hope you can post the link to your site when it's finished
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thumbs up Re: Estimating Web Size

Exported to desktop. 23 Indexes in Folder. Properties says 186 KB (232 on disk) Seems small. Is that possible ? Let me check. I found a stray Image file. total is now 5.5MB. That seems more like it, but that seems reasonable for a site. I seem to be talking out loud. That's what happens when a senior tries web creation. cheers, Neil

Depending on the media your site uses (sound, images, video) your site could get quite large. If it's just text then even a lot of pages will have quite a small size.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Neil -- Great to see you posting again at Talkgraphics! Have fun with this new Xara product. Also, please say hi to your son Bruce for me next time you see him.

Regards, Ross