Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: spotlight effect

Bill, while your explanation of the origin of the terms "dodge" and "burn" was essentially correct, your example was misleading. Generally, when working with negative enlargement (and now with modern digital editing software) with underexposed shadows (i.e. areas that would print too dark), one would dodge to reveal more detail. Similarly, one would burn bright, overexposed areas for more detail. In other words, dodge to lighten, burn (aka "burn in") to darken. Just thought that should be clarified...

Incidently, the icons (e.g. in Photoshop) used for these tools also symbolize those origins. The dodge tool icon that looks like a black magnifying glass, is like a black wrapped round wire loop tool you alluded to, held in the enlarger beam to block out areas to be dodged. I used to make mine with bent hangar wire and black electrical tape. The burn tool icon is a hand formed in a circle, which was also held in the enlarger beam, the hole allowing you to direct more exposure to needed areas. This tool was literally "on hand" and quicker than cutting a hole in some black construction paper.

And yes, these were definitely hit and miss, often frustrating, operations since you wouldn't see the results 'til after the print was processed.
    Last edited by LonK; 06 May 2009 at 06:52 PM.
    Lonnie
    IP

Default Re: spotlight effect

Thanks Lonnie for clarify my mistakes. I think my recent head injury has me still confused.

Removing dead limbs from the trees around my house is not something I should have been doing alone.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP