Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favicons

Default Re: Favicons

Chrome places the favicon on the page TAB (next to the page title) rather than in the Address field.

It shows fine in Chrome here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	esanbri.png 
Views:	384 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	61662

yep, chrome is fine... but not FF or IE7 nor Safari...

any suggestions?

Refresh.

Works in all browsers fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Refresh.

Works in all browsers fine for me

Tried and FF and Chrome do work but IE nor safari do... maybe is my
    d*m laptop acting up again... will check on the MAC tomorrow...

THX

Ok, so I read the thread on adding favicons but got very confused by all the info for attempting to add it.

Here is what I did upon the advice I read.
    I created a favicon with file ending in .ico
    I uploaded it into my file manager using cpanel through my host site. Here is where it gets tricky. Where exactly is the .ico supposed to be located in my folders for the website stuff? No one really specified Exactly Which folder it should be inside of. as an FYI, I had to create a Sub Domain through my current url just so I can test any new website possibilities before making my site live with new content. (keeping my old and current site active).

Within XWD I created a Placeholder by using Rectangle tools as suggested (but no one stated Where the Rectangle for the placeholder should go (if it matters). I went into Utilities and gave it <head> for a name and Added it to the Rectangle placeholder layer. Oh I also created the Rectangle Placeholder as a layer. does it matter what order that layer is in, in the scheme of layers?

I attempted to add the Favicon code some people stated toward the beginning of this thread into the Placeholder HTML area. Is this where it was supposed to go? This is where it gets more tricky... What is the exact code I am to use for .ico Also, it states your URL to be placed before .ico image file name within that code? but this part I did not understand. As I do not know what URL the .ico image resides at other than in a folder somewhere within my website directory in cpanel. On my current website (built with a different Program) I have a favicon on my site, but I used a different method to attach it. SO I am VERY confused.

I would love someone to walk me through it step by simple step please. I am not fully versed in web design & trying to do my best.
    Each method I tried from previous posts did not work. Again, it could be placement of the file in my file manager or lack thereof of proper placement... and or it could be the wrong url I am typing in. (I have a feeling it may be the location of the file in directory matched with improper url text. Any help appreciated bcause I've tried everything I could think of, moving the file, changing the url multiple ways, republishing etc. Thanks in advance.

~

Your favicon can be in any folder of your web site. As for the placeholder code the complete URL for the favicon is to be used.

For example if you created and named your icon myfavicon.ico and placed it in a folder name images.

If your domain name is mywebsite.com the complete URL for the favicon would be http://mywebsite.com/images/myfavicon.ico (just an example and not a real URL)

Remember to give the placeholder for the favicon the name <head> so it will be added to the page you want it to appear. You will need to do this for each page you want the icon to be displayed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

My favicon works on all browsers but IExplorer and have tested it on two different laptops and an IMAC... with 3 different versions...

http://www.esanabri.com/albus

Which version of IE are you using? I'm using IE8 and it shows your icon in the address bar and on the tab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	favicon-IE8.gif 
Views:	292 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	61908  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

IE ver 6 in this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	version.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	61909  

Internet Explorer 6 will not show a favicon until the site is added to Favorites.

Versions 7 & 8 will show the favicon when the webpage is rendered on screen.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update