Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy How do you link to an attachment?

Hi

I want to be able to put a button on a page, and for the button to download a file to the user - maybe open an open or save dialogue (it will be a short animation) - I can't make out how to use the 'link' menu to do this.

Thanks

Default Re: How do you link to an attachment?

Hi Croesus24,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

In the Link Dialog use the link to web address option. Enter the complete URL for the file you want people to download.

As long as the file is not a web page (htm, html, or other web file such as php, asp, etc.) the browser will automatically open an open or save dialog for you.

In the case of a web graphic it will open in a new tab or new window depending on your browser. The person will need to know how to same the image using their browser. One way to bypass the new tab/window is to compress a graphic into a .zip or .rar archive file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link-for-download.gif 
Views:	507 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	60331  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for that - I'll try it - I haven't replied for a while because my ISP has let me down!

Roger

Hi Roger,

I think we all have had our ISP let us down from time to time.

Glad to see the problem is corrected and you are back with us.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Soquili... i was going to ask the same quesiton.... However I need some more clarity on how to do it... my issue is:
    I have a pdf file I wish to link to a button (the pdf is on my local drive) that will open when the button is "clicked." I noticed the address you gave before but not sure how you do it with a locally held drive? Do I need to up load the file to my domain server to be accessed from there?

Very new to this and need help...

Thanks in advance..

Musto

Quote Originally Posted by Musto View Post
    Do I need to up load the file to my domain server to be accessed from there?
    Yes, if you are uploading a website, the World Wide Web cannot access a file on your hard drive. It should be added to the folder of files that is produced when the .web file is published. That way it will automatically be uploaded with the rest of the site, and you can link to it there.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

An alternative is something I've used for some time and only just realized it can easily be used for linking (sort of) to files on your PC is DropBox.

With drop box you can simply drop files into the DropBox created folder on your Hard Drive then open your Dropbox web account and copy the file URL.
    Paste the URL into your placeholder or text link for others to download. Anything you put in your DropBox folder is seamlessly uploaded to Dropbox and available online. Free Accounts allow 2GB storage

This LINK is to a PDF file on my HardDrive which I simply copy to my DropBox public folder. It becomes available for download in moments.

Basically works as a file sync from your HDD to the DropBox server.
    Add a file to your folder and it becomes available online.
    Delete the file in your folder and it's removed from the server online.