Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Internet Explorer 8

Here's my first web site that I designed using XWD about a week ago:-

http://www.creativepost.co.uk

This morning I installed IE8, having previously used IE6 for several years. My site still looks okay in IE8 (well, at least each page looks okay) but when changing between pages I see the most hideous "wipe" effect as IE8 redraws the page.

It's just a gut feeling but my best guess is that this is being caused by the gradient background. Has anyone else encountered this and is there a fix for it? I haven't yet seen the problem in other sites (although I only installed IE8 about 20 minutes ago).

Default Re: Internet Explorer 8

The .gif screenshot you have is quite large and will cause the 'wipe' effect you speak of as it loads depending on the dowload speed of your connection.

1447x936 pixels at 304kb is pretty large

The other pages load very fast for me here in all browsers including IE8.

Default Re: Internet Explorer 8

That's really interesting because on my system, that screenshot is the only image that loads acceptably (although it's probably getting loaded from my local cache). It's the other pages that display the problem. Each time I change from the main page to (say) the product registration page, I see an ugly, left-to-right "wipe" that takes about a second to move across my browser. I've tried the site using Safari, Firefox and IE6 (none of which had this problem).

Can anyone else see this problem using IE8 ?

[Edit...] I think something's gone wrong with my installation because when I launch IE8, all my menu bars and toolbars are suddenly totally black with no text visible and only a few icons. Also, I noticed that my old copy of IE6 had been left on my machine. When I launch it, it's definitely the old version but it also now displays the same problem!!

Fortunately I backed up my partition just before updating so I'm going to restore the old partition, then upgrade to IE7 and then to IE8 and see what happens.
    Last edited by johne53; 01 May 2009 at 01:02 PM.