Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Improved infobar

I would like to see values in the infobar for shape objects that include hex color, area, perimeter and radius if applicable. I would like to be able to slide or input and lock these values. For example, if I have a specific perimeter length a shape must be I might want to lock that and adjust shapes.

If I have a shape that must be a specific perimeter, I would like to adjust it to be bigger or smaller by typing in that exact value. I would also like this shape change to not grossly distort the shape the way inset path does it.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Improved infobar

I think Sheff your asking a lot here for the info bar to include you are wanting everything rapped up and neatly parcelled for you. Have a look what other vector programmes offer, if you look at AI you don't know if what you have selected is vector or bitmap and I think Corel offers the best but it slows the programme down.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I think we've been told before that this is CAD territory, of which Xtreme isn't a player.
    The Dimension tool has been another feature which has been brought up from time to time.

I think having the hex value in a location other than in the color editor dialog would be convenient.

Sometimes a client wants to know the size of a thing by having a measurement next to it. I don't think that is an unreasonable request. Just because I'm not designing buildings or precise engineering doesn't mean I don't add dimensions to some of my designs. don't think that dimensioning abilities should be the exclusive domain of CAD programs. Besides, CAD stands for Computer Aided Design. While that's a general term, isn't design what we do win Xara? Why did Xara create XPE if they knew it wasn't going to take down Photoshop? While it didn't do as much as Photoshop, it was pretty useful. Why did they incorporate Xara 3d features into Xtreme if it wasn't going to be better than Maya? Why allow Flash export? If I need animation, it's far easier to export a multipage PDF and animate with that than it is to get a flash file missing xara features or a gif. I really don't think Xara has any illusions about displacing AutoCAD in the marketplace. They already don't import or export dxf files. Adding the ability to do this seems a far simpler task than some of the other things they've attempted in the past. They already encroach on areas that belong to other programs. To add this much requested feature seems only logical.

The primary reason we all started using Xara was because of all that it offered. To say that because Ai doesn't have a feature shouldn't be justification to exclude something. Illustrator is a leader by default, not because it's a superior product. Also have you looked at the gradient and transparency controls in Ai? They're imitating Xara, only making it less convenient and more clumsy.

It just seems that the longer you use Xara, the more adept you have to become at creating workarounds for the things it can't or won't do. And this is the price you pay in order to utilize the things that Xara does exceptinally well.
    Last edited by Sheff; 01 May 2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Sheff
    My Site