Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Highlight Object Outline on select.

I think i have spoken of this in the body of another post.
    But not officially here...So here goes...
    My apologies if this has been requested a thousand times before...not in this area of the board anyway....

Im just a little frustrated when selecting objects the the object's outline is not highlighted... this would aid greatly when picking an object out of a complicated jumble of fading and overlaps ect...(like all my designs...)

Anyway this could happen on the fly as you move the mouse pointer over the design with the select tool. I would also like if in the options there was also an option of an additional flash (ie to also flash highlight the entire object just one flash of a fraction of a second also when the mouse first encounters the object...this would help allot too to visualize the object if it is heavily blurred and obscured by other overlapped blurred objects ie if it would flash to a bright primary colour to highlight it initially on mouse over then just the outline would remain highlighted until mouse out.

This would mean you would always be sure which object would be selected for any given cursor position.
    IP

Default Re: Highlight Object Outline on select.

I fully agree, very important. I often find myself spending 50% of my time in Xara trying to figure out which object is selected. And no, the bottom infoline text and the tiny 'selection dots' are not a replacement for proper, direct, clear visual feedback on selection.

A coloured outline around the object (could even be done reusing the same code as the Contour tool uses) would be my favourite.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks
    IP

I use a vector program to cut signs that uses this 'system' to indicate the selected object (the object's outline turns red) and when it's in 'wireframe', the outlines take on the color of the fill. Both features often come in handy.

If you might include this in future versions, I'd say make it an option so we could turn it off when working with alot of red objects... or offer the ability to change the color of the outline when selected.
    IP

Since the intro of version 5 the Object gallery gives you this info just like it does in AI.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work though in a typical workflow.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by except View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't seem to work though in a typical workflow.
    Whose typical workflow? What "typical workflow" is? And is any workflow "typical" at all? What seems typical for you, may be strange for someone else. What doesn't work for you, still may work for others...

... guess I'm in a philosophical mood today....
    John.
    IP