Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question WebDesigner or Xtreme 4?

Hello everyone! I have Xara3d-v6 and Xtreme v2.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Xtreme 4 from my version 2, but am wondering.. maybe I would get more by buying Webdesign.

I can't afford both right now, but am wondering what the differences are in web design using Xtreme 4 compared to WebDesigner. Or, what is left out in Xtreme 4 that Web Designer has?

Thanks for you help.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Default Re: WebDesigner or Xtreme 4?

Hi Doane,

You may be better asking what was left out of Web Designer that is in Xtreme 4.

Essentially Web Designer has enhanced web creating functions but has many of Xtreme's features removed. Web Designer doesn't have the Bevel Tool or the Contour Tool. There are no Live Effects in Web Designer and the Clipart Gallery is replaced by a Template Gallery.

Creating web pages and complete sites is much easier to do in Web Designer than in Xtreme 4. Navbars and menus are also easier to create in Web Designer.

If you are basically wanting to create web sites then Web Designer is the best choice.

If you are more into drawing and live effects your choice should be Xtreme 4.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the quick reply, Bill. I have Xtreme 2, that's why I was thinking that WebDesigner might be the way to go.. I can still use Xtreme2 and Xara3d6 when I need to.

Xtreme4 has extrude, but I can do that with Xara3d6 already.

Xtreme4 has more photo editing capibilities then my v2, but I'm not sure how much more it offers then what I have now... I also have Photoshop CS2 which I use most of the time for bit map editing.

I'm not seeing, or maybe missing what v4 has over my v2 (ignoring the website tools)?

And I don't see any comparison, or haven't found one, of what Xtreme4 offers for website design compared to Webdesigner.. I would like to know what each one has, strictly oriented toward web design, that the other doesn't have, since I already own Xtreme v2 for the other things.

Hope that makes sense?
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

I haven't seen a comparison between the two programs.

I think the most significant difference is the Web Properties dialog that is in Web Designer. It makes doing some of the things available in Xtreme 4 much easier to do because it is more straight forward and it has the Placeholder feature which extends Web Designers capabilities tremendously.

If you can imagine the web export feature of Xtreme being an add on to see if it could be done, then see Web Designer as the result of a year's experience and feedback to those features. That is how I think of Web Designer. It has most of the lumps removed and is smoother "tasting".
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Can you explain what the Web Properties dialog is or give me a link about it. And, it doesn't exist in Extreme-4?

Also, the "Placeholder" feature?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 01 May 2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote

Here is the link to the summary manual for Web Designer.
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dczbrf...59dqt&hl=en_GB

Some of it will be very familiar to you because they are the same as in Xtreme 2 but all the web features are so improved over Xtreme 4 that they should be studied by a seasoned Xtreme 4 web guru.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The Web Designer announcement post by Charles Moir also has additional links for more details about the program. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36827
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Reviewing Charles' post I see there is a comparison document I had forgotten about http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=dcz...btkrj&hl=en_GB
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hey,
    you could download the trial version of Web designer, and see if the work you do in the other applications you have can be incorperated either by import, or paste.
    My suggestion would be (if Web Designer handels Xtreme V2) buy Web designer if web desinging is what you appreciate.
    Jim

Well said Jim.

No one can explain how they experience a program in the same terms you would yourself.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update