Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rat to Skunk

Kai got it in the face. I made a modification to the rat trap to capture skunks, hopefully. The upper hole is the old rat hole. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skunk9184.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	5609  
    IP

Ummm... Rich,

do you have an animal control officer (dog catcher) in yo9ur neck of the woods? Give them a call and see if they can catch your outside vermin. At least they can point you in the right direction. If you catch a skunk in that thing, you are going to be smelling pretty ripe when you move it and so will your porch.

How much tomato juice you have on hand?
    IP

Those animal control people are under funded. There has been a dog lose across the street for about 15 years, and thay have never done anything.

We have a neighbor that swings a rock on a string that has a trap. Some kind of healer. He loaned the trap to the neighbor next door. That neighbor is planning to set the trap some day. That is where the skunk lives, and thay get sprayed all the time.

Some things you have to do yourself.

I haven't gotten anything to work yet, and this was more of fun project. It couldn't smell any worse than when the kids got sprayed and Laura brought them into the house. They rolled on everything.

Rich
    IP

IP

A couple of years ago, we got a skunk under the house we were renting. We hired two trappers (not at the same time), plugged up every entrance we could find, played loud music in the cellar, and laid out mothballs. Caught the meanest cat we ever saw. Never caught the skunk. Finally moved.

It did inspire us to this poster.

Good luck.

Bud & Nikki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SK10.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	16904  
    IP

This morning the trap door was closed. Bricks were scattered everywhere. Must have been something big. Of course, nothing in the trap. It must have climbed on top and tripped the door. I should take lessions from my neighbors. The one that believed he was forced to go to school, and quit a week before graduation. then let his mother complete night classes for him. And wanted his graduation present early thinking it was full of money.

Anyway, the critter was trying to take the path of least effort to get the food. Like my neighbor, however, never finished a days (nights)work. My neighbor did his funds gathering at night, too. He'll be on probation for a couple more years. He appears in court next month for the sharing drugs in the highschool parking lot. I am sure he'll be caught before the skunk.

Rich
    IP

sounds like you have more than 1 type of skunk in your neck o the woods. Time to sell, before bigger varmits move in.
    IP

It is skunk time again. I changed the door so the opening is somewhat larger. I think a raccoon was trying the trap. Didn't smell any skunk, but they come out at nightfall. Haven't gotten to what to do with it yet. I was thinking about starter fluid down my vacuum cleaner hose to put it to sleep just long enough to transfer it to another container. A friend said he put rats to sleep that way.

Rich
    IP

I would not suggest starter fluid which is more flammable than gas arounda motor that has an open spark unless you what a hot time in your vacuum tonight. Have you heard of a molotov trash can? I would imagine it would do a little more than singe your eyebrows... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Unless of course you want to try for a Darwin award (top 10 dumbest ways to die). http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
    IP

The vacuum hose was just to get some distance, no sparks allowed. I remember the stories about the operating room. Of course, that was static electricity from pulling off tape. I don't think a skunk is ever going to enter the trap. No signs last night. I think they will take every approach except the open door. Rich
    IP