Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Error Code -6

Default Error Code -6

Three time now I've had to re-install XWD as I keep getting an error code -6 and the programme won't launch. I've reported this to the support people but didn't even get a reply apart from the auto-responder.
    As I've had to re-activate it every time I now have used up my 3 allowed.

Anybody else getting this problem and have any idea what it is?

edit... I just got a reply seconds after posting They've increased my activations, but when I tried to run the programme again I get the same error code?
    Mmmm, a bit annoying to say the least.

Can I get a refund ??

Jinker
    Last edited by jinker; 29 April 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Error Code -6

Perhaps if you could supply some more information than at present them members will be able to help you. How about attaching a screen grab of the Error message?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi
    I sent support a screen grab but then deleted it.
    I could retrieve the jpeg from the ticket, but it wouldn't tell you anything more than I already have.
    All I get is this programme can't run as the directory might be damaged? and an error message -6 (whatever that is?) Probably means the directory is damaged I re-installed the programme, re-activated and it ran several times until the same thing happened.
    I'm running Vista fully updated, 4gb Corsair Ram and an Nvidia 8800GT graphics card. No overclocking or anything out of the ordinary.

Support has increased my activations, so that gets rid of the immediate problem, but what if this keeps happening? 400 activations please

I don't know what else to add as its a silly problem. Every other programme on my PC works fine apart from Office 2007, but that seems to be a common occurance for most users from what I've read?

Why XWD should do this I haven't a clue. I just hoped that someone had come across the problem and knew what could be the potential cause.

Jinker

Jinker is the -6 error a Windows error or Xara? I've never heard about an error like that being shown by Xara programs but it may be new to Web Designer.

If it is a Windows error a search could find more information that we may use to help. Can you post the screen shot or at least the full text of the error message?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Further to Bills comments, if your still getting this error message it will be very simple to reproduce the screen grab.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

A quick search for Windows error #6

• Error #6
    Error Message: Stack Overflow
    Solution:
    1. Try cold booting your computer.
    2. If this does not work, the problem might come from your RAM or the Swap file.
    This may not be the error you are getting but without further information it is impossible to tell.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi

Here's this mornings version of the -6 error code attached to this message.

Since getting this, and seeing your posts I've run a defrag programme and re-started the PC after a full shutdown. I usually just restart as the PC is normally on 24/12.
    The error message hasn't returned and I've re-started the programme about a dozen times.
    Could be either of the above has done the trick?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jinker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error_code.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	60226  

It might be worthwhile to do a thorough disk scan to see whether you are having hard drive problems. How current is your antivirus? Just a thought.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Spinny

Great minds think alike.
    The drive is a Seagate 1TB and about 6 months old.
    I've checked it as best you can with the available software etc, and nothing is being reported. However, I decided to make a full backup in TrueImage just in case
    NIS 2009 installed as up to date as daily update.

Have used the prog a couple of times today and all appears well so the earlier advice might have sorted it? I hope.

Jinker

Hi Jinker,

Glad you have the problem sorted.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update