Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why was the Xara X Linux forum closed?

Hi,

I just got Ubuntu running over the weekend and got Xara X for Linux installed and running and wanted to ask a question about the photoshop filters and plugins and if they would run. I see the icon towards the bottom but it's grayed out so wondering if that was ever going to be further developed to get those operational.

Just thought I'd ask here since I can't ask in the proper forum about it!!

Thanks kindly
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Default Re: Why was the Xara X Linux forum closed?

Hi Richard,

unfortunately there are no developers working on Xara Xtreme LX since two years. Therefore it's appropriate to call this project "dead". I don't think that you will see progress with open points. I would say that Inkscape is the future (under Linux).

Remi

Hi Richard,

Remi is correct the Linux developer community has not embrased XaraLX. Xara Ltd provided all the development they could and unfortunately the program has not been picked up by any open source developers.

It was determined to close the forum as no one can respond to questions without some known developer sources.

As Remi also mentioned, inkscape seems to be the program with the most options that is currently being developed for Linux.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

btw: I don't think it's the best idea to beat on the three Open Source developers who were committed in this project.

If there are no more developers willing to invest their time into this project, then there were some (in great detail discussed) reasons for that.

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Hi Richard,

unfortunately there are no developers working on Xara Xtreme LX since two years. Therefore it's appropriate to call this project "dead". I don't think that you will see progress with open points. I would say that Inkscape is the future (under Linux).

Remi
    That's really too bad. I'm in Ubuntu right now, it's quite nice these days. Runs every bit as good a Vista (probably better in many ways). Inkscape huh... last time I used that it was so sluggish and not very familiar to me that I gave up after creating a few simple shapes. HATED IT!!

I thought there was going to be a project where Inkscape and XaraX were going to be combined (best of both or something) Any info on that if there is any to be found??

Thanks much!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Remi I wasn't trying to beat on anyone.

There were more than 3 developers working with Xara and their efforts are greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately more Linux developers were not interested in the project.

In English it is often more efficient to use general statements. Less precise but easier to phrase. English is such a conglomerate that even native speakers often have difficulty in communicating.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by RAMWolff44 View Post
    I thought there was going to be a project where Inkscape and XaraX were going to be combined (best of both or something) Any info on that if there is any to be found??
    I'm not sure, how much cooperation between Xara and the Inkscape developers was planned:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Charles Moir wrote on Monday, April 09, 2007 10:51 PM:
    Right now with no active development of the Xara LX open source base going on, I think talk about cooperation or merging Inkscape / Xara is premature. The lack of active open source development is partly because Xara staff can't, because we're focussed on commercial releases right now, and partly that it needs someone to work on interfacing Cairo in place of CDraw. [...]
    -------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the statement and more details about this in our thread "Update and news from Charles Moir".

Remi

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    In English it is often more efficient to use general statements. Less precise but easier to phrase.
    Yes, I know that very well from personal experience. But as you can see from the recent discussions (in other threads), these statements can be ambiguous from time to time. Good to know that you don't meant it in a negative way.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 28 April 2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added "(in other threads)" behind the word discussions

I wasn't offended by Bill's responce. It was straightforward. It's really a shame that this project is dead in the water. Oh well, I tried out Inkscape and it's better but nothing compares to Xara X!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Quote Originally Posted by RAMWolff44 View Post
    I'm in Ubuntu right now, it's quite nice these days. Runs every bit as good a Vista (probably better in many ways).
    Flash streaming, too? You're lucky!

Yes Ubuntu is very interesting project but I wouldn't define it as good as Vista. Not blaming Canonical devs here, but estabilished hardware and software brands.

By the way I confirm Inkscape is the way to go for many of us, have a look at Ivan Louette filters thread...