Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I can't find the Dynamic Text Plug-in in my Painter 5.5. Anyone know where to" find" it, or where to download this plug-in?
    IP

I can't find the Dynamic Text Plug-in in my Painter 5.5. Anyone know where to" find" it, or where to download this plug-in?
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Hi alfreedo & welcome,

I went from Painter 5 straight to 6, so I'm not positive, but I think dynamic text can only be found in Painter 6 and it's sort of built in to Dynamic Layers, so you can't plug it into Painter 5.5

BR...
    IP

Hi,

Since I don't have Painter 5.5, I can't check this for sure but I don't think that version has Dynamic Text.

If it does, it would be found (most likely, as this is where it is in Painter 6) in:

Objects palette/Dynamic Layers section (Painter 6)

or

Objects palette/P.Float section (Painter 5)

Good luck and Happy Holidays! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Duh - Turns out I have Painter 5.0, not 5.5, so this plug in isn't available to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] , sorry.
    IP

Hi,

There are still a lot of things you can do with text in Painter 5:

Drop Shadows (Effects menu, Objects, Create Drop Shadow)

Convert to Selection and fill with a Pattern, apply Effects menu options, paint in the Selection (Shapes menu, Convert to Selection)

Apply Bevel Effects (Objects palette, P.Float section, Bevel World)

Distort (Group, or Group and Collapse all of the text Shapes and in the Effects menu, choose Orientation, Distort. Click and drag the center top bounding box handle to push or pull the text and make it taller, shorter. Click and drag the right center or left center bounding box handle to make it wider or narrower. Click and drag the right top and bottom, or left top and bottom, corner bounding box handles to make the text appear to be in perspective.)

Arrange the text on a curve (Oval Shape tool, draw a circle or ellipse, click each letter and in the Shapes menu, Convert to Floater, then in the Effects menu, choose Orientation, Rotate and click and drag one of the bounding box handles until the letter is rotated to the angle you want. If the letter is blurred, in the Effects menu, choose Focus, then Sharpen and move the Radius slider while viewing the change in the Preview window. Once you've finished, the Oval Shape can be deleted (Objects menu, Floater section, click the Shape, then click the Delete button... or... click the Shape with the Floater Adjuster tool, then hit the Backspace key.)

This is by far not as easy as working with Dynamic Text in Painter 6 but at least you can accomplish a lot in Painter 5.

There may be more that I've forgotten to mention and others in the Painter Forum will hopefully fill in the gaps.

In the meantime, I hope this helps a little.

Happy New Year!

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi Alfreedo

Here is a neat way to get metal effects on text.

http://www.webdesignclinic.com/ezine...als/index.html

Have Fun
    Greg.
    IP

Hi,

Now you got me going! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I did a few samples to show how any image can be used as a Reflection Map. In the accompanying image, each example is shown with the Pattern used as a Reflection Map.

I've numbered each example and the font, effects, and settings are shown below, in this message. Each example, or group of examples, uses a different Pattern (some scaled down to show here) for the Reflection Map and one uses a Paper texture with the Pattern Reflection Map. I used the same bold font for all of the examples to show the different effects better than they'd show with a more delicate font. Here's the page that shows the examples:

http://www.pixelalley.com/characterm...examples-1.htm

Example 1. Bauhaus Heavy BT, 24 pt letter "O", color black. Effects menu, Surface Control, Apply Surface Texture:

Using: O Mask
    Softness: 13.2
    Inverted box unchecked
    Amount: 100%
    Picture: 100%
    Shine 40%
    Reflection: 100%
    Brightness: 1.15
    Conc: 4.00
    Exposure: 1.41
    Light Color: white
    Show Light Icons: box checked
    Light Direction: upper left
    Display: 0.33

Effects menu, Objects, Create Drop Shadow - default settings

Example 2. Same as Example 1 except letter "A" and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: A Mask
    Softness: 3.0
    Light Direction: left

Example 3. Same as Example 1 except letter "T" and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: T Mask
    Softness: 10.5
    Reflection: 59%
    Light Direction: left

Example 4, Version 1. Same as Example 1 except letter "H" and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: H Mask
    Softness: 6.3
    Reflection: 59%
    Light Direction: Top

Example 4, Version 2. Same as Example 1 except letter "H", color orange, and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Softness: 14.0
    Reflection: 18%

Example 4, Version 3. Same as Example 1 except letter "H", color orange, and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture (applied to a duplicate of Example 4, Version 2 after it was completed.. in other words, Apply Surface Texture was used twice on the same letter "H"):

Softness: 14.0
    Reflection: 18%
    Light Direction: Bottom

Example 4, Version 4. Same as Example 1 except letter "H", color green, and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: Original Luminance
    Softness: 4.2
    Amount: 200%
    Shine: 50%
    Reflection: 49%
    Conc: 5.00
    Exposure: 1.57
    Light Direction: not checked

Example 5, Version 1. Same as Example 1 except letter "S", color black, and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: S Mask
    Softness: 3.9
    Reflection: 49%

Example 5, Version 2. Same as Example 1 except letter "S:, color black, and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: S Mask
    Softness: 8.4
    Reflection: 77%
    Display: 0.29

Example 5, Version 3. Same as Example 1 except letter "S", color black, and a few changes in Apply Surface Texture:

Using: Paper (Basic Paper, Scale: 57%)
    Softness: 0.0
    Inverted: box checked
    Amount: 51%
    Reflection: 100%
    Display: 0.29

If you'd like to see more examples with brief explanations as to how they were done, take a look other pages in the Character Matters section of my website. One of the examples, named "Thistle" was done with an ornamental character from the font Fleuron and appears in The Painter 6 WOW! Book (thank you, Cher). The arrows on each page were also done in Painter. Since the pages are linked only from one to the next or back to the previous page, it's best to start at the beginning page (7 pages in the section).

http://www.pixelalley.com/characterm...actermatt.html

Hope you have fun with all this, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on December 27, 2000 at 09:42 PM.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    IP