Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Difficulties splitting large websites

There is not enough help given about splitting websites. This is quite important because even after constructing a modest site with 10 pages the process of saving, exporting and previewing becomes noticeably slower and tedious even on a reasonably high spec PC.

The process of splitting up the pages either to individual one page websites or 2-3 pages is quite tricky since you need to break the association with the original index file.

Calling the new pages by their original name is no problem with the original navbar if you have set one up with Webstyle but the graphics for each page need separate folder otherwisse they overwrite the original index file images directory and the other pages won't load etc.

Default Re: Difficulties splitting large websites

I created a simple three page site, split into three separate .web files. The procedure is shown here. Note that there was a problem with the first attempt (although I first thought I had it right). The final, functional solution can be found in my post #16.

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoodReason View Post
    ...but the graphics for each page need separate folder otherwisse they overwrite the original index file images directory and the other pages won't load etc.
    The folder with graphics that is created by WD has following name:
    Code:
    filename_ext_files
    Where:
    filename - is the name of the exported file (in case of multi page documents the name of the first page file is used);
    ext - extension of the exported file (this can be either htm or html since you can't set other extensions for the first page in the document).
    As you can see, separately exported WD documents can not use the same files folder because you can't export 2 files with the same name in the same location.
    John.

Yes I think I noticed what files were produced by XWD thanks - doh! The are the same after all as if you save a file as htm from say MS Word and many others!

I will try to come back to this tomorrow because it is quite important to convey to others the problems of splitting a website once already up to say 10 pages and saved as eg mywebsite.web with the first page - eg index.htm having all the wesbite graphics attached in the large index_htm_files directory. And the navigation used in my cases was a Xara Webstyle navbar because I am used to it and it easily produces drop-downs and styles to match the site.

Basically I managed to split the site quite successfully early on but managed to destroy the previous functionality of the original .web file. I'll try and explain what I did better later.

There is no real problem because my new website set-up uses separate .web files for each page - thus updating is easy and it works fine. It's just that I wanted to also keep the back-up of the original (10 pages) .web file . even though I saved back-ups in a different directory it still changed them somehow. I also wanted to create a very similar site for someone else.

Sadly I am now too tired today to explain exactly the problems I had and how I got round them but I'm sure it will help other because there is little help in the actual XWD program 'Help' itself.

But thanks for trying to help folks!