Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Squiggle effect in Easy Palette

Quite a while ago I installed Ulead PhotoImpact XL and used it regularly. I didn't use many of the features, just enough to get by with what I needed. There were several effects that you could apply to an image (I think they were paint effects), one of which was Squiggle. There were at least 3 squiggle effects, and I used them to create frames for pictures. Long story short, I had a hard drive crash, no backup of the software, and ended up getting the X3 version just yesterday after going without PhotoImpact for several months. It looks a lot different now, and I don't see the squiggle effects anywhere. Does anyone know if they still exist and if so, how do I find them?

Thanks for any help in advance - I really could use this effect to be consistent in my images!
    IP

Default Re: Squiggle effect in Easy Palette

Hi Shirley, Welcome to the forum. If you could post an example of the effect, it might help us to see if it exists in PI X3 or not. Nothing in X3 answers to the name of "Squiggle" when searching the Program Files.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Hi Bob!

Here are a few images in which I've used that squiggle effect. These pictures are glass beads that I make. What I do is take bits and pieces of the picture and "decoupage" them together into a new image. When I'm done I apply that squiggle effect and use it to frame the original picture. Sorry about the size of the pix - these are from the site on which I sell my beads.

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.43622178.jpg

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.26087595.jpg
    IP

Couldn't find any squiggle in PI X3, but I think you can come up with a similar effect using the Smear effect ( Effects> Artistic > Smear )

- Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smear-1-opt.jpg 
Views:	879 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	60081  
    IP

The effect is not dissimilar to that which can be achieved with the plugin Filter Forge "plastawrap" preset
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	plastawrap.png 
Views:	875 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	60090  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I might be wrong Bob, but I think the effect Shirley is referring to is the one used to produce the outer background image which is itself taken from 'parts' of the central image. The central image is a photograph of the glass work she does (which is stunning btw).
    IP

sledger, you are correct. it's that outer border effect that i'd like to be able to produce again. i haven't seen anything that really comes close enough, but thanks to all of you for your help! gosh, this is frustrating... it's like trader joe's taking away some fabulous food that they had been selling for years.

and sledger, thank you for your kind words about my glass work - i appreciate it!

shirley cook
    jumping jack glass
    IP

Hi Shirley

the two examples here were done in photoshop [I don't have PI] with plugins

first is 'glass' ['frosted' texture]
    second is 'ocean ripple'

may give you some ideas

Name:	glass or.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	60281  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

thanks, steve! guess i'll have to play around some more.
    IP