Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Can you link to external files?

Hi

I'm in the process of creating our school website. I was using fireworks and dreamweaver 8 and a bit of coding, but I found Dreamweaver difficult to use, hence a friend told me about Xara Web Designer.

I would like to link to pdf files which pop up in a new window, as we have documentation that we don't want people to edit. I did try to import a pdf file (as I cannot see an option to link to files in the links tab), however it said that the owner had not given permission for this to be edited.

Is linking to other files possible? I really hope so as I don't want to go back to dreamweaver now.

Thanks

Maddie

Default Re: Can you link to external files?

You don't have to import pdf file. You just have to type in the URL of that file in the link field. Also if you want it to open in the new window you have to set "Open link in" to "New window" option. See the screenshot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	59980  
    John.

Brilliant.

But if my files are located on my c drive, how do i create a url for them? Sorry if this is obvious, it's early and I need some coffee

Maddie.

Simply, place the pdf file in the same directory that you export your site to, and then you can type in only the pdf file name in the link field (without the path).
    John.

Thanks - I will try that

Maddie

I exported my website to a folder in my documents and placed the pdf file within that folder.

When I create a link to a one of my buttons, I typed in the pdf file name (filename.pdf) into the url link section and clicked apply. However, when I test it, it doesn't work and goes to the Xara website. I checked it again and my file name is in there, rather than the Xara website. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Maddie