Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all,

First post here, and I appreciate the forum setup and content. I have a Wacom and Painter Classic/Photoshop LE and loving it all. It is strange not getting charcoal and pastel fingers, though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I'm hoping it's OK to ask a question here, seeing as it's the baby program to Painter.

I'm running a Mac 266 with lots of added RAM, so I haven't had any crashes or freezes yet (maybe I shouldn't say that out loud). The main problem I'm having is getting clear font resolution in the program. If anyone has any insight into this problem I'd greatly appreciate it.r
    IP

Hi all,

First post here, and I appreciate the forum setup and content. I have a Wacom and Painter Classic/Photoshop LE and loving it all. It is strange not getting charcoal and pastel fingers, though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Anyway, I'm hoping it's OK to ask a question here, seeing as it's the baby program to Painter.

I'm running a Mac 266 with lots of added RAM, so I haven't had any crashes or freezes yet (maybe I shouldn't say that out loud). The main problem I'm having is getting clear font resolution in the program. If anyone has any insight into this problem I'd greatly appreciate it.r
    IP

Hello Marah!

Although I do not have painter classic (and therefore can't personally answer questions regarding it,) I just wanted to let you and other painter classic users know that your input is always welcome!

So, Welcome to the Painter forum!

there was a post entitled great program but started by Robin Gilmor (currently on page 2 of our list of posts)

Where at least 3 other painter classic owners spoke up. . . you may look to see if they have email addresses in their profiles. . . that would indicate that they probably don't mind getting notes from fellow users (of course, everybody minds hearing from spammers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I'm sure there is a special place in Dante's Inferno for spammers.. if not there should be [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

So thank you for taking the time to drop by and post a question. I'm sure a thoughtful answer will appear from a fellow user.

Athena

3 painter classic users talk about Painter Classic

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Marah,

Welcome to the Painter Forum and the Painter Community (that's what I call the wider community of Painter users and consider a Painter Classic user only a short time and a few dollars away from becoming a full Painter owner, since Painter is addictive and the full versions of Painter are so much more capable and exciting to use. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Since I spend a lot of my time helping Painter beginners, and a lot of folks are first introduced through Painter Classic, I now own a copy of Painter Classic and will be happy to answer any questions for which I can figure out answers. Feel free to write to this forum or to my personal address if you need some help:

jinbrown@pixelalley.com

As to font resolution, since Painter Classic/Painter are raster (pixel-based) programs, and although text in Painter/Painter Classic begins as an editable (vector curves) Shape, ultimately text is made up of pixels and if the image resolution is not set high enough, angles and curves in the text will display jagged edges. Try opening a Canvas set at 300 ppi and testing some text to see if that helps.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi marah,
    Welcome to this group.
    If Jinny's suggestion does not help with your problem, I would suggest that you do your art work in Classic and the text in Photoshop. I think you can move either back and forth.
    Regards,
    Greg
    IP

marah

do you have adobe type manager installed? try downloading the latest version from the adobe site. this will help smooth the edges of your screen fonts. i see you have a 266 mhz Mac, what Os are you running?

stecyk66
    IP

I really appreciate all your responses. I noticed that in the linked forum they mentioned lack of liquid metal and extra brushes. They are in the Free Libraries section and have to be imported in subject groups, used exclusively, then you can switch back to default list. I don't know how this compares to the adult version but I would imagine the extended (or "extra") versions are part of the original palette in 5 and 6.

I'm running OS9. I was wondering -- can you import your own scenes, patterns, and nozzles in the full Painter versions? (As you can see, I'm already itching for more...) I am totally addicted. My real-life art tools will never crumble and die, but they're not going to be used quite as much, at least right now!
    IP

Marah,

In my Painter Classic libraries, I don't find Liquid Metal at all, even in the brush libraries available on the CD in the Free Libraries & Stuff folder. In Painter 5 and 6 Liquid Metal is found in the P.Float (Painter 5) or Dynamic Layers (Painter 6) sections of the Objects palette.

In full versions of Painter, extra Brush, Paper, Pattern, Gradient, and Weaves libraries are loaded one at a time just as with Painter Classic, and you can create your own custom libraries as well.

The brushes found in Painter Classic, including the extra brushes found on the CD include a few that are not found in Painter 5 or Painter 6 and are missing even more (many!) that are included in Painter 5 and Painter 6.

You can open any image in Painter 5 and Painter 6, providing the format is one that Painter supports There are a lot of them, including BMP, TIFF, JPG, GIF, PSD (Photoshop). Also, Illustrator files can be imported.

In Painter 5 and 6 (earlier versions also) you can not only load Patterns that come from another source, but you can create your own Patterns, either seamless pattern tiles or ones made by capturing either a portion of or an entire image. Also, you can load other-source Papers and/or create your own Papers. The same goes for Nozzles which can be loaded from other sources and/or created by the Painter user. Gradients can be edited/created as well.

There's just about nothing that can't be created in Painter and you'll be even more hopelessly addicted when you move to full Painter versions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Happy Holidays!

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Jinny, thank you. I think. The words excrutiating enticements come to mind. And you're right. I went back and looked and there's no liquid metal. Drat. Well, thanks to your information, it looks like I need to start saving up! My own paper? Nozzles? More brushes? ACK! I can't wait.
    IP

Hi Marah,
    I am also new to using Painter, I got Painter Classic with Wacom tablet also. Then I found a hint (I think in this forum) about a less expensive way to get into Painter 5.5 by buying Garden Hose nozzles. I just checked and it appears that the offer is still good. Go here to check it out:
    http://www.gardenhose.com/
    It cost 90.00 to get Jungle 2D (a nice collection of nozzles) and a copy of PC Format Mag. that includes a CD with full version of Painter 5.5
    I'm still unsure if Corel will allow me to upgrade to Painter 6 or 7 with this but at least I have Painter 5.5 to play with now.

Happy Holidays... Perth

OPPS just remembered that you have a MAC, so this will not help you, pretty sure it's for PC's only, sorry

[This message was edited by Perth on December 19, 2000 at 03:17 PM.]
    IP