Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating bullet points

I created this web page which includes some bullet points. I managed to sort out the hanging indent requirement by reading the help file - but for the bullet point graphic I just used a character from my Windows Character Map.

Because the bullet point is just a plain old ASCII character, I'm conscious of the fact that it probably won't look the same on someone else's system. On my (English + Windows) system it looks like a forward facing arrow head - but presumably it might look totally different on a non-English system or a non-Windows system.

Apart from using a number for the bullet index, are there any recommendations for creating bullet points so they'll look the same across different platforms?

Default Re: Creating bullet points

The characters you had used for this page will look correctly on all systems except for those that have no such character in the font. You had used Unicode character, not ASCII. It's code is 9658.
    John.

Consider grouping the bullet (text) so that it will be exported as a graphic.

You can also use Ctrl Alt B to create a bullet. There are several other symbols that can be created this way including the copyright symbol © using Ctrl Alt C. There are others listed in the Help file (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by johne53 View Post
    I managed to sort out the hanging indent requirement by reading the help file
    My digging around, reading and forum searching didn't work out so well for me. Am I correct in concluding the way to get bulleted (and numerically indexed) text to indent properly along the left margin is to create the text area for the text itself with the desired left margin, then manually add a separate text or object area to represent the actual number or bullet, and manually position it to appear in the correct place?

Apart from coding the list in an HTML placeholder, that is.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Turn the ruler on, set the indent, use tabs ... and type away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	59858  

Huh. I see a problem with my only having access to the forum and a copy of the .chm file when I'm at work. There's nothing in it (that I can read) about rulers in the text info. There must be more in the file that this chm reader can't get to.

Thanks!

ON EDIT. Fixed my problem. Knowledge now at my fingertips!
    Last edited by Spinny; 23 April 2009 at 03:56 PM.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Turn the ruler on, set the indent, use tabs ... and type away.
    Actually, this brings up another problem that I haven't yet managed to figure out....

If I copy an existing line of text (say, from one of the templates) I see a ruler looking very much like the one in your screenshot. But if I type a new line of text from scratch, the text's right margin is way off the RHS of my screen, so I can't see the right margin adjuster to adjust it. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

If you just click and type, you haven't set a right margin, so the text line length is infinite. Click and drag either a line or a box, and it will set a right margin accordingly.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Consider grouping the bullet (text) so that it will be exported as a graphic.
    I tried that approach today. Here's the web page we were originally talking about.

Up near the top, there's some text that says "AAF support for Indamixx and Ardour". If I group that text it gets exported as a graphic, exactly as I expected. However, if I try to group any other text, it still gets exported as text. What could I be doing wrong

Might it be something to do with the text elements being in the same layer? Can you only have one group per layer or something?