Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help please with repel

I am a newbie. I found the Xara software because I wanted to create a brochure with unique graphics and I did a search on Google asking the question what is the best software used by graphic designers and Xara software came up and I must admit I am very impressed with not only the 30 day trial version I am using but also with the various design pieces posted by the members of the forum, I hope to one day be as fluid and schooled as the experienced masters,

Ok, here is my dilemma….

For the cover of my brochure I wanted to create words/text that forms the shape of a person….i saw the following post by (Maddog81--http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=37789&highlight=text+shape) and the way Sledger did the A all in words/text that is what I wanted with the colored background except instead of the text the letter A it would be in human shape/form. I traced a picture I liked, scanned it as a jpg and tried to do repel but that did not work. I then followed Egg tutorial and cut out the person shape, tried repel but it still did not work.

I have search online help, Xara help including the forum but to no avail…

I apologize in advance for a wordy post. Please help me the newbie, I have posted the picture and hope someone can help me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Help please with repel

I had to take your shape and intersect it with a white oblong before it would work..

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference.

Matrix,
    Welcome to talkgraphics.
    Place a rectangle behind your shape, select both and cut them (CTRL + 2)
    To be able to repel text the texto has to be in a block, you have to take the text tool, click and drag to form a rectangle, then type your text, when finished bring your human shape to front (ctrl F) and place over the text, with the shape selected go to arrange and select repel text.

The repel text only works with text blocks, that's got me crazy the first time I needed to use it.
    I hope it is useful.
    Javier

Thank you to everyone who responded but unfortunately it is not looking the way I need it to look after trying the sugguested responses. Maybe it is the way I am explaining my problem. I don't need the text to repel around the form. I need the form shape to be the text just like the letter A is the text on this post http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ght=text+shape. How did they get the text to be in the shape of the letter A.

i think is this what you mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	person_and_text.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	59913  

Thank you Ascerbic , that is what I wanted, what are the step by step instructions for creating that image, I want to be able to learn so that I can create this and similar styles. Again thank you

you see, there is no way to put the text into the blue shape

what you must do is to create the yellow shape and THIS shape must repel the text when you put the yellow shape on top of the text area

i hope this is cleare for you

i have attache the xar file too

Name:	text_inside.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	59915  

Applying a clipview to the text area and a shape will produce a similar effect.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	clip.png 
Views:	323 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	59919  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

the problem with this bob is that your words do not form sentences that can be read, and if this is important then it is a methode (the clipview) that can not be used

Name:	words.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	59921