Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Subjective Feather mode...

Being a big feather fan, I often find my self applying feather to a large group of objects all at once. As i nearly always like to apply some feather to my objects.

But generally the amount of feather necessary to service any given shape depends on the size of that shape/object.

Because if you re-size a shape with feather applied you want and expect the amount of feather to change with it... Which it does and should do.
    i.e you may have a circle that is 50 pixels across and you may need 20 pixels of feather... but if you increase this object to 100 pixels across then 40 pixels of feather will be equivalent for this new size.

But currently you can not select a group of different sized objects and apply feathering in such a way that compensates and takes into account the size of an object in order to apply feathering more appropriately across a group of objects of varying sizes.

What i am proposing is just that.

Next to the feather slider you would have a little box that would say "Pix" you could click on that and change it to "Rel" (Relative).
    In which case there would be a new formula to control the amount of feather.
    I'm no math guru but perhaps something like this:
    L=Longest dimension of any given shape.
    L/2 in pixels would be the distance in pixels to the middle of the shape.
    And the new relative feather amount would be percentage of that "radius" not exceeding 50 pixels of course.

So a relative feather of 100% would mean any objects smaller than 100 pixels (longest dimension) would be fully feathered. ie the feather zone would be from the outside to the middle of these objects.

Where as a relative feather of 50% would mean any objects smaller than 200 pixels (longest dimension) would have the feather zone extend half way from the objects outline to its center.

This way you could apply feather whole sale to almost any group of objects of varying sizes and with the one slide apply an amount of feather that was appropriate and equivalent scale wise in one application.

This also would not stop you going back to the normal "pix" method of viewing the amount of feather it would simply be a new measurement system.
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 24 April 2009 at 01:15 AM.