Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is open source Firefox so successful?

Regarding comments made by John here:

What's the explanation for why Firefox is such a user-experience success given that it's open source (OS), and OS typically is not a conducive model for high quality, polished (complex-) software?

It's the only complex OS software that rivals high commercial quality (that I know of anyway). Open Office and Inkscape, while functional and capable, are relatively ugly messes and don't rival commercial equivalents in terms of user-friendliness and attention to design.

I'm guessing the way Mozilla handles things has something to do with it, and I'm guessing XaraLX would have been handled in a similar professional, controlled, structured, intelligent way by Xara to avoid the standard programmer soup. But are there other factors?

Default Re: Why is open source Firefox so successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Regarding comments made by John here:

What's the explanation for why Firefox is such a user-experience success given that it's open source (OS), and OS typically is not a conducive model for high quality, polished (complex-) software?
    If you read my post carefully you may notice this:
    There's simply no motivation for programmers to develop software the way users want it to be, so they develop it the way they want it to be. Good if users and programmers interests are similar, like in case of OS user interfaces or office software...
    The Firefox browser is another example of software where programmers interests are very similar to the interests of all users. Thus they developed what they wanted to, but luckily enough this is also what most users wanted to get.
    I'm guessing the way Mozilla handles things has something to do with it, and I'm guessing XaraLX would have been handled in a similar professional, controlled, structured, intelligent way by Xara to avoid the standard programmer soup.
    Could be, but for this to happen, first of all there must be a team of interested open source developers. If there are no programmers who want to do it, it will not be done. As I say, open source programmers develop what they want, not what users need.

And one more thing, regarding quality of the product (bugs, stability, support). This factor is one of the most important for every user. No wonder that in commercial software it is taken very seriously. In open source noone cares about what users want, so only if the developers want a quality product, they will release it. OS core is a good example. No one expect Linux to be less stable than most commercial OSes. But that's because this stability was a goal for developers. They wanted it to be stable. Unfortunately, most small open source projects, especially applications are not so stable. In most cases they never get out of beta stage because developers are reluctant to spend time on providing finished product. Instead of fixin all issues they often prefer to add new features because that's what they want.
    Last edited by covoxer; 22 April 2009 at 05:08 PM.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Open Office and Inkscape, while functional and capable, are relatively ugly messes and don't rival commercial equivalents in terms of user-friendliness and attention to design....
    they do often provide features others don't have - which vector program for example was the first to have transparency gradient stops - illustrator, inkscape, xtreme ?

as for the argument itself - there are fanboys on both sides, and it shows
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    which vector program for example was the first to have transparency gradient stops - illustrator, inkscape, xtreme ?
    First on my memory was Corel Draw.
    John.

yo could well be so - but I was limiting the choice to the three I know about - no matter the point is still there

Inkscape is a damn fine program - yes it is clunky and awkward, but I could do everything I need to do in Inkscape, you just have to learn it like everything else - sniping from one side or the other just looks silly [to me]

I took it on board originally because it traced line art better than xtreme and you could graduate transparency stops - otherwise I might never have bothered with it - and because I actually use it I can comment on it meaningfully

What has all this got to do with Firefox - well the main reason Firefox became successful was because it gave us [I am a looooong time user] things IE did not - which brings me back to where I came in, I think
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yo could well be so - but I was limiting the choice to the three I know about
    Ok, then my question: which program first allowed you to draw vector at all: Xara or Inkscape?
    Xara had introduced much more features before Inkscape was born, than inkscape over Xara since then. So balance is on Xara side taking your methodology.
    John.

yes but it is not a competition - that is my point - I have no beef with you John, you are not the 'theatre critic that never writes plays' - I respect your opioion

it was just an illustration

I could do all I need in open source but want is a different word
    Nothing lasts forever...

Firefox works much better than Avant but I still use IE because of OutlookExpress. Is there a way to get Firefox to have OE open with it?
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Nancy unless you choose to install another email client (Thunderbird for example (not included with FireFox)) then set it as the default client, you can use any browser you wish and retain Outlook Express as your default email client. Installation of a web browser does not change anything related to email (with the exception of Opera, the only browser which includes an email client - but you have to agree to have it's own M2 client set as your default email program.)
    In other words, OE will still open when clicking mailto: links in web pages no matter which browser you choose.

Steve, thanks. I only understood about half of what you said, but enough, I think. I have email with my ISP but I don't use it. OE is so much easier for me and it's right on the Internet Explorer browser bar. I was wondering if FF would let me put OE on its browser bar.

Perhaps you just answered that but I'm a dunce when it comes to these kinds of things.

I suppose it really shouldn't matter and I should just get used to opening FF. I think it has less security issues than IE and I have a desktop icon for Outlook Express that will take me right to it if I want. It's really a matter of me getting into the habit of using FF.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?