Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please stop politics on Xara forums !

This will be my last message on Talkgraphics forums.

I cannot accept that XaraLX forum were closed on a so political and irrespective message : http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...6&postcount=39

The greatest universally renowned flemish painters in the Renaissance were closely concerned by the invention and fabrication of oil painting which was a true revolution. At all times artists were extremely involved in the evolution of their media.

It's totally inexact to say that artists aren't concerned by programmers work !!! Not later than yesterday a Belgian comics designer (and they aren't so bad...) remained three hours with me at a demo of Inkscape and XaraLX I did at a little free software exhibition organized by the students on Louvain-la-Neuve University campus.

Sorry, now I am going out.

ivan

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Please stop politics on Xara forums !

I fail to see 'politics' in Covoxer's posting. What he wrote seemed like a realistic assessment of reality. I don't see him saying "artists aren't concerned by programmers work". Of course artists respect the work of programers who develop tools -- but that respect alone isn't likely enough to motivate someone to create tools for others.

Sorry Ivan if you have trouble with all this.

regards, Ross
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 23 April 2009 at 10:17 PM.

It's totally inexact to say that artists aren't concerned by programmers work !!!
    Ivan I truly hope this is a misunderstanding, I cannot see where John said that artists are not concerned by programmers work?
    Is this the line you are referring to?

"..artists prefer XaraLX, programmers prefer Inkscape..."

The decision to archive the Xtreme for Linux forum was discussed and made many hours before John's post in the Xaralx progress! thread. The forum was closed not on his but on Bill's final post.

Please reconsider - we'll miss you

ce sont des cruches, on a perdu pas mal de brave types a ceux qui roulent des pallots a Xara, sa me surprend pas ke ten a plein le cu

always sad to lose talented poeple, happening a lot these days

ciao

Unhappy Re: Please stop politics on Xara forums !

Ivan, I wish you wouldn't go!
    If you must, though, please know you will be missed!
    ---Maya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rose_from_mayas_yard.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	59896  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Well the only political in it was the phrase 'communism', and that it doesn`t work. Well, Capitalism seems to work fine, if you forget how trilion billions
    seem to evaporate and the whole system needs like a trillion billion injection
    rendering your old age pension allmost worthless.

What I see, in games, that programmers provide sloppy work and they hardly bother really to fix all the things, because the MODmakers make the game
    interesting and playable in many cases. Also my pinnacle studio version 9
    never ever got completely debugged, "oh, just buy the next version, some bugs will be sorted" I mean, that proves they sold me a bad product and have no intention of fixing the product. And in this way capitalism works, because I won`t buy their products anymore, they don`t really seem to mind

Are all wishes met in XX4 etc? No. Plenty of wishes left which havent been
    attended for many years, I read here sometimes (Don`t get me wrong, I really like the program, and since I am an amateur, all the things provided seem fine to me)so even commercial products don`t fully tend to the customer. But mostly the big common denominator is met.

And now enough of my rant
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Hi Ivan,

I feel bad to hear, that you will stop your postings here.

Regarding to the Open Source discussion: Xara Xtreme LX was started as an interesting project, but it is now more popular as an bad example within the Open Source community, which other companies or developers can learn from. The Open Source community works different as Xara Ltd. thought and I'm sure they wanted to see this project has never started. I don't blame Xare or the two or three Open Source developers who are interested in this project for this. Every side has learned a lesson and without learning we will see no progress.

Regarding to John's opinion about the quality of Open Source software: I don't see it in this negative way. Instead, I'm very happy that a lot of developers are willing to develop Open Source software and that there are great alternatives available in competition with the commercial products.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 April 2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: TG members to not need to read about disputes between moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by ascerbic View Post
    (oh no, they are throwing puddings at me, war of the open source against anti open source puddings EEEK LOLOLOLOL
    Never saw a war... missed the pudding throwing too..

If it's free (and usable) -- I'm there! Never saw an "anti" anything. I certainly did not see any "EEEK LOLOLOLOL" (whatever that means?)

Ivan, (if you still come back to read this) -- We have met in person and have shared Quebec cheese, wine, beer and a too rushed prime sushi dinner... Did you see me as having horns and a devil's tail and being a hateful and disrespectful person? I was a TG mod (at the time).

I have not met the mods here but I'm 100% sure they are trying to keep things as sane as possible for the community as whole -- they really are here for TG (no matter what the usual whiners think they know).

Being a moderator is difficult (making everyone happy is impossible). Working out language is difficult... Ivan, we also struggled with language but we worked it out because we wanted to make it work... All I'm asking is that you keep "language" in mind -- things are misunderstood all the time when the web clashes with cultures and language (and emotions).

Ivan, I see you as very, very, intelligent and a humble man... With great ideas and a drive (with an ultimate goal) that puts us as all at shame here at TG (I hope it will work out for you). All I want to say is, you met me in person and according to some, I'm the biggest ******* that ever volunteered his time here... The current mods have more patience (and better language skills) than I ever had. They are good people!

You post great ideas and techniques... And people do read and take note and learn, even though they don't always comment. There is no reason for a "last post" -- PM a mod and talk it over and you will see that they are not bad people.

Ivan, you don't need to leave... Take some time... More people than you could ever imagine enjoy your posts here at TG. Things spill over (from all kinds of places) and get all mixed up... You need to be here at TG. Period!

Drop me a PM if you want to talk in private.

Risto

Knowing the reasons behind this Ivan, I respect them

TG will be the poorer for your not being here, and that is a real shame for the community, we shall miss you

But I know you will be active as ever in the things that matter to you, as should we all be, and that is what counts

I wish you all the very best, and if you do decide to return we shall all be very pleased to welcome you back

votre ami dans un monde de changement
    steve
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I apologise for the violence of my reaction after seeing the closure of XaraLX forum.

And Risto, Steve, Maya, Ross, Remi, Sledger, Ankhor, Ascerbic (and possibly others before I post), thanks for your sympathy and your reactions. I will not leave Talkgraphics forums ; your friendship convinced me.

In fact I continue to use some commercial software, including XX4 because I am not an ideologist nor a pure theoretician (even if I think that philosophising a bit and putting things in perspective is absolutely indispensable).

However the coincidence between that and the - to my opinion - shocking last message in the xaralx progress thread was explosive for me ! I continue to feel the contents of this message as very offending not only because a lot of assertions inside are hazardous, but also because of its quiet certitude about the sort of "elitism" and the often bad quality of free software.

And Covoxer, if you read this thread, I wouldn't offend you, but your developer's status mentioned under your name give you the power to convince most people of the universal truth of what you are saying. But this kind of power is also a big responsibility and to my sense being so assertive without specifying that you only expressed your personal opinion is not fair.
    Now on which kind of informations you build your opinion is another kind of thing. I think in this area even statistics fail to demonstrate anything... and of course statistics could be biased by the position of who did or who read them. But in any case truth requires humility.

Now I would detail my own opinion about what you wrote.

"the usual and predictable failure of the open source scheme"

Ideological or naïve or badly informed ?

"the open source was invented as model of developing software by programmers for programmers"

Wrong because at the origins free programmers were users first (see below)

"programmers tend to develop software that they need or want or like to develop"

Of course if programmers were only programmers and completely isolated from the real life... that could be a big problem.

But most brilliant free software programmers and developers I know have another occupation and they became programmers and developers for the following reasons :

- 1° because the commercial software they use doesn't match their goals and they may not touch and change it ;

- 2° because using only commercial software can limit the free circulation and communication of ideas and knowledge (that was one of the origins of the idea of the GPL) ;

- 3° because at some point commercial software could limit the freedom of expression (which of course is the case when programming is part of this expression).

Free software programmers aren't some kind of Gods. They are human, communicative and accessible persons who share the best they can do. A lot of them are true artists or true scientists, or true "amateurs" in the purest and nicest sense of this word (like amateur gardeners or amateur naturalists who play a so important role in the circulation of knowledge) !

"artists prefer XaraLX, programmers prefer Inkscape"

Just an opinion and to my sense a very narrow interpretation of the words "artists" and "programmers" (see above).

"Open source is generally not the best approach at developing software. It lacks the regulating factor. In commercial model the market always balances demand and proposition [....] the most effective regulating factor is a market, and so the demand is best covered with commercial software"

Ideological or naïve, I don't know... But at the lights of today's (and successive) economics crisis one should be very prudent before speaking about "regulating factors"...

"If the demand is represented by the non programming group, it will never be properly fulfilled"

In fact this is exactly the contrary. If I only take today's Inkscape development, bug correction and addition of new features asked by the "non programming" users are extremely fast.
    And I must add that if the "Dear Xara" section of Talkgraphics forums is very welcome, useful and constructive, it was waited for a long time while this kind of communication has always been the base of free software development. I wouldn't offend anybody at Xara saying that and I am sure they know that.

"While the application software is extremely poor, badly developed and of low quality if present at all, comparing to commercial world"

I don't know what you mean by "quality". Of course if you speak about "Total Look" interfaces in some cases. But otherwise and about richness of functionalities your assertion is mostly wrong.

ivan