Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default illustrator Question

Hi all,

I have been asked to ship illustrator versions of some projects.
    I was wondering if there were a way to generate bitmaps at more than 72dpi in the illustrator export?

I have to open them in illustrator in order to validate the conversion and I only have access to v10, it doesn't seem to eat the PDF versions I've tried.

Anybody have an Idea?

Thanks,

Marc

Default Re: illustrator Question

I suppose it depends on how complex the files are. If they are fairly straightforward and do not have things like shadows, bevels, transparency, and other things that Illustrator does not support, then you can convert the text to editable shapes and use the AI export option.

PDF is better however and it might be a good idea to have a later version of Illustrator that does support PDF format. You should be able to find an older copy, maybe even a "pre-owned copy" on the web.

To answer your first question: in the PDF export dialogue menu click on the Advanced Option then go to the Object tab and you will see the Custom DPI check box and you can set the bitmap resolution yourself once checked.

As for your second question I have checked 3 files with version 10 and all three open with ease and are editable once removing any clipping masks. All three files did not have any special effects like bevels, transparencies or complex fills which could result in extra editing once in Illy.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Gary and Albacore,

For the most part it went well, everything was there and in vector format. The only problem appeared with bitmap resolution.

For example I have political maps with raster cross hatching over color shapes.

I managed to export individual png of the problematic bitmaps and import them in AI.

To think of it, if I have the same situation again, I will try to so these kind of hatching with vector shapes instead. Maybe blends with clipping paths for example.

Hard to think of all these details while in production though!

Marc