Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Publish Only Specific Pages..?

Covoxer:
    That's very helpful! Thanks much.

I definitely have a game plan to get around those tedious uploads, now.

I think the real problem with only transferring a few files, is that the image filenames may change and then the html won't be doing what you expect. Needs care.

Yes, Paul is right. If you re-export the site after some editing, it may happen than the same images are exported with different names than they were exported before. So if you want to do a partial upload you have to make sure this is not a case.
    John.

Oh, hmmmm, yes. I'll have to monitor the end result closely... Thanks.

Yeah, that's why I keep refreshing that folder all the time. I guess that means I'm not saving all that much bandwidth by doing the FTP manually, but I have other reasons for it rather than avoiding a lot of uploads. I have a multithreaded FTP client so I just point it and shoot and let it grab everything.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    *I checked out your website. Very cool. Great job!
    Thanks!
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

But keep in mind that the same "numbered" images may not represent the same thing on the screen when updates are made, so you can have some unusual results. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if you re-export, picture numbers may change - like if you did a grouping or something else, what used to be 1.png may now be 5.png. If the html is calling for 1.png and then that is no longer the right picture, you could have buttons showing up in odd places, peoples faces where there should be a piece of fruit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinny View Post
    I believe all the images (from all pages, not just index) are stored in the sub-folder that gets created when you export your site to HTML (can't recall the name, index_htm_files maybe?). Just keep the contents of that folder current with your local version and you should only have to upload changed html pages. If I do a ton of changes and things get confused I just delete both copies of that folder, re-export, and upload the newly-created local one every now and then to make sure I got rid of unused stuff.
    Hi Spinny,

What did you use to get the image slider function on your site to work? Is that a stand-alone javascript? I need something similar to that for a client's site.

--Ben

Ben,

It's Flash based. I created it using CoffeeCup's Photo Gallery software. You create the gallery, upload the appropriate files, and paste the code it gives you into an HTML placeholder where you want it to appear. Setting up the moving thumbnail strip and nav buttons and all that is done within the software.

At the risk of incurring the displeasure of some folks here I'll offer the link since I can't PM you.

http://www.coffeecup.com/photo-gallery
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 27 April 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of an earlier post ~ Egg

Another option is the one I used recently on a site I did that is java based and free, so if you have a java vs flash preference (and don't want to spend any money) but are willing to invest some time and effort to get it to work via placeholders and the <head> tag, this link may be of help:
    http://www.leigeber.com/2008/12/javascript-slideshow/

And here's a demo of it working:
    http://sandbox.leigeber.com/javascript-slideshow/

One nice thing about this method is that it's easy to add pics and captions and whatnot without having to go back to the source files and re-export and all that, you can just add the files to the list tags that you want in the slideshow (and caption stuff if you want that). You will probably want to change some of the css that styles the output, but the rest is pretty easy. I've not integrated this into an XWD site yet, but I did it in a regular site and the most difficult thing was getting it to work right in my "regular site".

Hope this helps.