Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Painter X - Why are the brushes working so slowly?

Why is Painter so much slower than photoshop in painting with large brushes? Is it bacuse the painter-brushes are much more complex than the photoshop ones? I have also thought that mabybe painter is meant for small-scale-paintings such as bookcovers, and that one should do the big-scale-paintings as real paintings..
    Magne
    www.magnemyhren.no
    IP

Default Re: Painter X - Why are the brushes working so slowly?

It is really down to the complexity of how the brushes work, the resolution of the image and what system resources you have available.

Christine
    IP

You are probably right, but it would be nice to manage to create simple brushes in Painter for colouring large areas in order to quit the jumping between photoshop and painter.
    www.magnemyhren.no
    IP

Have you got the 'Enhanced Brush Ghost' turned off? See Preferences/General. Having it turned on really slows down the brushes.
    IP

Thank you for your suggestion. I've tried to turn it off and on to see the effect, but I must admit that I hardly saw any. My daughter has a usb-wacom-tablet and mine is bluetooth. It didn't seem to be any differences between these either.
    Magne
    IP

Hi

I have the same problem with incredibly slow brushes, from size 13 upwards.

Just wondered if you had found any way round this yet,
    Thanks,

Kt1
    IP

search for hot rod your brushes painter in google there is a good tut for getting the most out of your brushes.
    IP

sorry for the somewhat cryptic answer I gave earlier. "Hot rodding your brushes" written by John Derry should go a long way to answering some of your questions.

In the meantime, play around with the "feature" slider visible when you select the Size line under the Stroke Designer tab in the Brush Creator (control-b)

If the brush preview at the bottom has a red "X" or doesn't look like a smooth curve, that particular brush will perform poorly on your machine. (I'm looking at a Painter X interface, so it may be different than yours.)

-pixel_streamer
    IP