Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone here use Xara in conjunction with a Husqvarna Viking Embroidery/Sewing Machine? I'm wondering how to convert file formats and such.
    Sheff
    My Site

Actually It's hard for me to imagine how to combine Xara so a sewing machine http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif But I suppose you can print on a piece of cloth and then sew it http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Sheff,

it all depends on the driver. The drivers for the foil cutters should be able to handle eps or ai files, so why shouldn't they be available for a sewing machine as well? Most of these machines come with a unique software to process the input data for sewing, milling, laser, welding - you name it.

In the CAD world there a some newer machines that offer a plug-in for certain apps, but you can mill your object on a 5 axis machine as well with a simple DXF file.

I know a company that's using a foil cutter and CorelDraw. They export the CDR to an ai, feed it to the app that comes with the machine, and the machine will cut the pieces - even if the scale the objects.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Sheff,

Have you checked with the sewing machine company? They might have some info here.

Jens,

Yes, that is what I would suspect that eps or ai files would be pretty easy to output on a sewing machine. Logically, this would have to be some kind of vector format. But I can't seem to find any documentation on it.

John,

Yes, I've been to the site. it was one of the first things I did. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any specifics about the file format that the sewing machine uses. All they have are software updates. There's no information about the software at all, so I wonder if it's software just for their machine, or is it available for other machines as well. If so, then there should be some documentation on it, but I can't even find the name of the app.

There would have to be some way of converting other file formats into the sewing machine format.

I have gone into sewing machine dealers, but it's like I'm speaking Swahili to these old ladies. I would much rather read a document or manual on the web.

The Husqvarna is poorly designed to answer these questions. I have tried searching for "import" within their faqs but to no avail.

That is why I am asking the question here.
    Sheff
    My Site

Looking at the FAQ section, it seems that they have their own file format for output. But it also looks like it has a picture digitizing function.
    http://www.emnetsoftware.com/faqse/s...word&offset=90
    Maybe it's one way of getting your file into this software?
    It seems to be able to read font files, too. If your design is simple enough and you have Corel Draw, maybe you could save as a ttf format and use this route?

I found a pdf that spells out the differnt formats it can read and save. It won't bring in an eps. You have to create a bitmap which it will then convert.

here
    Sheff
    My Site

Sewing and weaving are related fields so it is only natural that they would be working off a bitmap. Have you checked with any embriodery shops in the area? I know some of the ones around here are using computer controlled embroidery machines. You are less in the sticks down there than I am up here.

Sheff,

Long shot. You might try contacting Foster Coburn at www.unleashed.com.
    He may know of a CDraw script or related app or of an individual you could contact.

One of the Ladies here abouts,

Works with cloth and embriodery I think. Check with her, she might know more than all of us combined on this. I am sorry I forget her name, but it isn't like there are hundreds hanging about.