Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Publishing Help

Default Publishing Help

Hi,

I'm new to Xara .. so please forgive me if this has been covered before.

I just created a small 3 page website ... I set the FTP information in the Publish dialog box within the web properties box.

I have now checked and re-checked this 4 times. I use Godaddy as my hosting provider.

When I try the auto publishing feature within web designer .. I always get a
    "unable to resolve server or username" warning.

However when I attempt to use this feature it tells me I have to Export first .. which I have done now about 7 different times.

I have used a custom file name or I have used the default file name of "Index"

What's strange to me ...is that it creates a folder on my desktop .. but within the folder there is no index.html files ... only the png's and default.css

But there are index.html, index_2.html and index_3.html on my desktop outside the folder .. I've tried uploading using FileZilla .. about 7 different ways ... both without the .index files and with them placed within the folder.

They get uploaded successfully ... but the site doesn't work.

Currently the website displays only some elements .. I don't know what else to do .. any suggestions? I've enclosed a screen shot of the files that appear on my server.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarasample.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	59704  

Default Re: Publishing Help

bmd,

First off, you can't change filenames after they are uploaded and expect your site to function properly.

In XWD select File, Export Website. Select your destination and after it's finished, you will see your htm or html files and a folder named either index_htm_files or index_html_files. Upload all these files to your server and thats it, your site will work. Do not copy your htm or html files into the index_html_files, they do not belong there. Leave all as is and upload.

Don't forget, you can't change the page file names after upload or your site will not function.

Hope this helps you out..
    RaZzLE

Thanks Razzle .. I see what I was doing wrong ... it's up and running.

bmd,

Glad you got it working.... Happy development...
    RaZzLE