Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Opening Multiple Links in an Inline Frame

Thanks to this forum I've discovered how to create an iframe in XWD.
    I have to say however; having to paste code into placeholders isn't my idea of how "easy" this should be.
    Take Serif WPX2 for example (I know they're aimed at different users) you place your frame on the page and click it to open up the options.

How can I achieve in Xara WD what I need to achieve?

I want to be able to open 10 sets of league tables on a single page called "league tables". The pages are taken from the NABC website, and open in the frame when the link is clicked.
    I know I can create a new page for each table but that's not what I really want.

I can't see how this is possible to impliment in XWD without a whole load of work but I hope I've got that wrong?

I appreciate XWD is an amazing programme and I look forward to even more templates being made available (in due course) as they were in WebStyle.
    I would like to see the navigation creation a bit easier as well. Well we can ask

Does anyone know if a beginner can achieve this in XWD without needing to learn a load of html?

Thanks in advance

Jinker

Default Re: Opening Multiple Links in an Inline Frame

Welcome to the Web Designer Conference jinker

Are the tables text or a bitmap?

You could put each table on a separate pop up layer (table 1, table 2, table 3 erc.) and then either link text or buttons to the pop up layer.

If you use a mouse over to trigger the table the table will disappear as soon as the visitor moves the cursor away from the trigger object.

If you use a link, then the visitor must click the trigger but the table will remain until the visitor clicks another link.

If you want to open pages in your iframe, then this post may be useful: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...09&postcount=2
    Also search for "iframe" in this forum and you'll find a lot of exmples of practical iframe use.
    Hope it helps.
    John.

I just did over a dozen golf league tables (the tables are "raw HTML" generated by league software) in iframes using XWD, matter of fact, and it's dead easy.

Just drop in a box shape and make it the size of the iframe you want to appear there. In the placeholder dialogue paste in the iframe code, and you're done. Add more boxes to taste. I personally preferred to make each table a different page, but there's no reason you couldn't line them up down a longer page.

ON EDIT: I guess the link would be useful. You can take a look at:

http://www.golf1500.com

It's not a fancy site by any means, I inherited it and the guys liked the original format--plus I made it mobile-friendly because some guys access it via Blackberry. You won't find any examples of design genius, just spare and functional pages. It was a snap doing them up in XWD, though!

In the first batch of links the "By-Laws" page is the only one using iframes. Most of the links in the second batch go to pages that use them.
    Last edited by Spinny; 19 April 2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added info
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Thanks for the advise guys.
    the pop up idea is probably the easiest one for me to do.
    However, I appreciate the suggestions for other ways to achieve what I'm hoping to do.
    I'm new to this programme and look forward to finding out how fast it will go?
    I've also thought of using a frame to bring in my original page from the other site into the new website being created in XWD.

Jinker