Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red vase

here's my latest, as always, hope you like it.
    tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red_vase.gif 
Views:	488 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	18612  

here's my latest, as always, hope you like it.
    tim

Very nice tim. Simple and serene...

Tim
    Very nice choice of colours. Was the smoke done as a brush, which I've never managed or some other way, which ever way the spirals are very effective. My one criticism is that the incense sticks are too straight, and perhaps too small, in the reflection on the vase. I would expect them to curved around the bowl of the vase more, to me it detracts the eye from reading the shape of the vase. Not that I have a vase like that in front of me so I might be completely wrong.
    Derek

Very nice Tim. I agree with John. Serene.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

John and Bill, thanks for the nice comments.

Derek,
    I will work on the reflection, do you think the top of the window reflection should be more rounded?

The smoke is just a bunch of lines that I made a long time ago for a candle that I drew. I copied them and duplicated them, changed the color and amount of transparency.

Very nice work.

like the overall look and balance.

Wayne D

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Derek,I will work on the reflection, do you think the top of the window reflection should be more rounded?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Now you mention it I think it should; curving down from the top left quite steeply. Its hard to guess, just a matter of what looks right. If I was going to be pedantic I would also reccomend that the oval highlight on the vase has a linear transparancy applied to fade it out towards the bottom as the highlight would, for the most part, only catch the part of the curve facing upwards. Thats the advantage of drawing like this, you can keep playing until you perfect it or get fed up with it and move on to something else.

Derek,
    Can I bother you to look at the changes and let me know if I am going in the right direction?

Thanks Wayne for your comments, if I can get the reflections correct I think it may be one of my favorites.
    tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red_vase.gif 
Views:	392 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	16816  

Tim
    I think the window highlight you pointed out looks a lot better with the slant at the top, though it could perhaps be more curved as its wrapping around the stem of the vase. The curve on the joss sticks looks better, but as the vase and other objects appear quite close together, I think the reflection should be much bigger, like the reflection in the back of a spoon, also the reflection seems to high up the bowl somehow as though its floating. Test relections of objects on a spoon to get an idea of how they might look in a curved surface.
    Fun eh?
    derek