Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Interlayer Copy/Paste (soft group)

Maybe this is in the docs and I missed it, or maybe I just don't understand. If so, sorry.....

I have a design with 10 layers. I have a two element softgroup that is currently on layers 4 and 5. I want copy softgroup to "more forward" layers (for example 1 and 2) or maybe "more rearward" (like 8 and 9) in a single cut an paste.

Can this be done?? Am I missing something?

Tks

Boo

Default Re: Interlayer Copy/Paste (soft group)

Hi Boo,

I think there may be a bug in soft groups.

The only way I could get the objects to move to new layers is to remove the soft group and cut and paste the individual objects to new layers. After making the move to the new layers you would need to select the objects and apply Soft Group again.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I like the fact that softgroups maintain on dedicated layers when pasted. The benefit is that you can blindly change pages and paste without worrying which layer is currently active in each page. I believe it is a planned feature.

It took me a while too to get accustomed to the procedure Soquili states (Ungroup/copy/paste/regroup), but I rather take that than switch to the "plane old" way. Maybe Xara could implement Ctrl+Shift+V to force pasting on targeted layer. Ctrl+Alt+V is reserved for paste in place, which is super handy.

Thanks guys.... Whether it's a bug or just the way it was designed, I wish they'd

1: give the option of doing it the way I mentioned (if by design)

OR

2: fix it (if a bug)

Boo

It's not a bug, it was designed this way. There are no such things as layer1 layer2 - layers have names. Objects are pasted on layers with correct name. That's it.
    John.