Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Goto, Jump to page, etc..

Phil -- I think you may be misunderstanding something your hosting provider has told you. If they said your files will go into a specific directory that doesn't necessarily mean that subdirectories in that folder aren't possible or allowed. You may be able to have as many subfolders as you want -- only limited by how much hard drive space the host will let you use. This seems likely to me.

With Xara-WD you only need the path to the folder the host provides for you and the username & password. If you then export different .web files relating to different parts of the overall site, Xara-WD will look after creating and uploading the various files & folders. You should even be able to publish multiple unrelated sites to your hosted folder. It really is a no-brainer if you get the 'publish' settings correct in Xara-WD. For what you are trying to do you shouldn't need any other FTP software or need to manually create your own directories. (Sometimes it seems many Xara-WD users are making things more complicated than they need to be).

I hope this helps.

Regards, Ross

I think 'over-thinking' a problem is a more accurate observation that "making things more complicated" Ross, but I assume that's what you mean't.
    Before we understand something new, we all tend to imagine the problem is more complex that it often is, so we imagine the answers must be elusive and complicated too. Because of this our thought processes are often led past and miss the obvious.

The problem is, WD's FTP 'publishing' process is invisible and you get no real sense of where things are going or why.
    Using a proper FTP client is in my mind much better because you are using a familar 'folder tree' interface similar to Windows Explorer, and most people are quite at home with this.
    Using an FTP client it becomes much easier to see how files and folder are related to each other.

Xara have tried to simplify all this it's true - but we are seeing many people having trouble getting their heads around it and with information supplied by their host provider, it becomes difficult to visualise what is happening between Web Designer and their host at the time of 'Publishing'.

For the moment, I'd recommend using a FTP client such as the popular (and free) FileZilla as it really isn't difficult to use. (See How to use FileZilla)
    It also has the added and necessary advantage of a 'site manager' with separate logins for each of your sites.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    For the moment, I'd recommend using a FTP client such as...
    , but:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilN View Post
    Unfortunately my site provider does not supply ftp access...
    John.

But John, is not WD using the FT Protocol????

I would not be surprised that if Phil used the same details in FileZilla that he uses in WD publish settings, it would work fine.

Besides this, my post was a generic one which wasn't necessarily specific to the OP but rather a response to Ross followed by general comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    But John, is not WD using the FT Protocol????

I would not be surprised that if Phil used the same details in FileZilla that he uses in WD publish settings, it would work fine.

Besides this, my post was a generic one which wasn't necessarily specific to the OP but rather a response to Ross followed by general comments.
    I don't think Phil uses WD to publish his pages. From what he says, It seems that his provider has only a web interface for file managemet (uploading) or something like this.
    John.

In this case John is correct.

The webprovider supplies template driven web designs to Realtors. Most Realtors are not tech savvy - neither am I for that matter.
    As John says, they only allow you to upload files in a single directory. As I said in a previous post, I would use another provider if they didn’t have a lot of other tools I need for my business.

Until XWD allows for a different file naming standard I guess I’ll have to do the renaming via an html editor and other programs.

Thanks for are you help though,

But I now have a much bigger issue - I'll start a new post - see
    "ie 7 extremely slow mouse-overs" Hopefully you guys have a fix

PhilN

Also, zooming out will show more pages in one go, click on the page to highlight then zoom in again.