Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Dedicated node edit tool...

Nodes (and lines, handles) always have to be *re visited* when drawing or illustrating with vector tools (unless I am pushing button with Vector Magic or some such for a quick result)

Curve handles need pulling/pushing, lines need moving, nodes repositioned via nudging and join type toggling. It's normal work flow for everyone I have watched who draw and illustrate with vector tools.

If double-click doesn't suit your style, maybe try using the hot keys ('S' and 'Z') with your left hand while drawing with your right

I see no objective arguments here.
    IP

I get the point, as far as specifying the type of node, in other programs one click will put down a corner node and a click and drag will put down a curve node. If you are used to working like that, or with something similar, then it must be a jolt to come up against the way Xtreme does things. Believe me, I have argued that Xtreme should incorporate more industry-standard controls and hotkeys, to avoid just this kind of thing. The forums here are often filled with those who are 'troubled' by the change in method Xtreme dictates, I was one of them. I have to say though, after some time working with Xtreme, it is still ahead of the competition. How long they can maintain that lead, with 'tune-ups and tweaks' is hard to say.

Personally, I see no reason why Xara could not incorporate the facility to lay down one type with a left click and another with a right click or hotkey and click. The more 'hot' controls, as opposed to icon and menu clicking, the better as far as I am concerned.

As for workflow, the vast majority of my lines are curved and I find that I only occasionally have to double-click to change a node from the default corner/straight-line mode. I tend to shape curves by laying down a straight-line then dragging the line and, if needed, adding a new node to the curve - which will automatically be a curve node.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    Personally, I see no reason why Xara could not incorporate the facility to lay down one type with a left click and another with a right click or hotkey and click. The more 'hot' controls, as opposed to icon and menu clicking, the better as far as I am concerned.
    Yeah this one is one i would love to see happen and it doesn't look too hard (to me a lay person) to implement and it would sure make me and i know of quite a few others happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Nodes (and lines, handles) always have to be *re visited* when drawing or illustrating with vector tools (unless I am pushing button with Vector Magic or some such for a quick result)

Curve handles need pulling/pushing, lines need moving, nodes repositioned via nudging and join type toggling. It's normal work flow for everyone I have watched who draw and illustrate with vector tools.

If double-click doesn't suit your style, maybe try using the hot keys ('S' and 'Z') with your left hand while drawing with your right

I see no objective arguments here.
    Well i guess its easy to say that when the object in question is the opinion of various subjects.

Right click=corner point is allot easier than toggling between keys on the keyboard what ever spin happens to be on your ball.

Justify your opinion whatever way you see fit...but in the end you like it one way and i would like slight changes made to accommodate less steps for those who appreciate this...

Because your preferences just so happens to co-inside with and support the current state of the app and this tool etc.. is very good and very convienient for you but it does not justify your position objectively in anyway.

If you want to get objective: with current work flow for this tool vs my suggested changes to the current work flow (ie... right click for corner points) then try number of steps, number of hands required or number of clicks required....to achieve the same results (for inserting a single sharp corner after a succession of curve nodes) with any one of your current methods vs my proposal.

Sorry to have to disagree with you (if that ruffles any feathers: i hope you are ok with me disagreeing with you and also for doing so in no uncertain terms...) but i figure if I'm going to stake my opinion and have it opposed quite strongly then it would be amiss of me not to go into bat for it.
    I'm well aware that you and a few others are quite happy with the way things are and don't see the merits of my proposal... perhaps i can change you minds with the objectivity you seem to find amiss in my own statement.

I think you will find for the purposes of inserting a corner point (the whole basis of my suggested change) in any case my suggestion wins the number of steps race...one click.
    One right click for a corner has to be less steps then holding another key to change a mode or double clicking on something then editing....
    That has got to be objective enough an argument for you.
    And considering that my proposal would not even necessitate that you would have to even use this proposed option I would say any objection to it would have to be purely subjective.
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 20 April 2009 at 02:14 PM.
    IP

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with another persons point of view Morphonius, as long as we are all polite everything is hunky-dory. Sorry if I came on a bit strong, but I do like the shape-editor and, inadvertently, became somewhat defensive.

The pen tool does work in a similar way to other programs in this, I think. Click to put down a corner node and click and drag to put down a curve node, but I have never really used that tool, perhaps I will give it a try.
    IP

Morphonius your argument doesn't necessitate any change in the program anymore than whom ever you are arguing with.

It will be as Charles Moir and the Xara Developers wish it to be.

The feature was designed to work as it does for a reason.

As users of the program we do not need to know why, only the how.
    Adobe nor Corel explain why their tools work a specific way.

Please remember there is nothing that says anyone at Xara Ltd will be swayed by anything said in the forums.

This Dear Xara... forum was created by the Moderators and was not requested by anyone at Xara Ltd.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Morph:

Don't worry, the advantage of having people demonstrating a different method, suggesting, or requesting a new one can lead to improvements in workflow and/or the program itself.

I'm sure many users in this forum appreciate this approach. Sometimes it is difficult to convey ones "point" ... we all have our biasis.

I think by demonstrating the number of keystrokes or "three-handed" processes is a good approach and one that will encourage us all to think twice.
    IP

Is there a hot key to make one of the tools delete nodes? If not I would like a tool that does this but only in combination with a hot key. I would also like this tool to add nodes in a single click. Sometimes when double clicking, instead of getting a new node, I've inadvertently moved a line.
    Sheff
    My Site
    IP

Sheff you are referring to the functions of the Shape Editor Tool.

Click a node to select it then hit the Delete Key to remove it.

To create (add) a node simple position the cursor on the outline when the cursor becomes an arrowhead simply click. See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nodes-new.gif 
Views:	168 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	59725  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

A single click with the shape editor places a new node. Select a node with the shape editor and press the delete key to remove that node.

Ooop! Bill beat to it.

Re; my previous post - Just been playing with The pen tool. This seems to have most of the functionality of the shape editor, but not quite all. I'm not sure of the point of this tool? Why not simply include the function of placing a curve node, perhaps with CTRL -click and drag, to the shape editor and remove the pen tool altogether? Or does it have other functions I haven't seen?
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 20 April 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    IP

purely to make illustrator users 'feel at home' - so it is said [dating back a bit]

I like the pen tool for certain things, but then I am no master of the shape editor tool
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP