Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Lightroom 2.3 Contact Sheet "print to JPEG" not working

I've searched the web and these forums to no end, and can't find anyone else who has ever had this problem. I also know this is the Photoshop, and not Lightroom forums, but I thought that someone may be able to help me out. I'm REALLY trying to warm up to LR, but it's just error after error for me...

Whenever I go through the motions to create a contact sheet, once I click "print to file", I get a dialog box to save it. I type the file name, and in the box below it ("save file as type"), the only option is "Supported Files" without any mention of JPEG or PDF. After naming my contact sheet and saving it, there's a new folder on my desktop with my contact sheet name, but there is nothing in it.

This always happened to me with LR 2.1. Someone recommended me upgrade to 2.3, and the first contact sheet I made with it worked perfectly. Ever since then, this same error/bug/issue happens.

Also, I'm running Windows XP 32-bit (in case that matters), and there's always a message in my "print" dialog in the upper left with my printer's name and "page x of xx" (usually based on my last contact sheet I tried to print). Could there be some issue from the old job not being cleared from memory or something?

I'd be VERY grateful for any help in resolving this issue, because the contact sheet feature is one of the biggest things that made be get Lightroom. Thanks in advance!
    IP

Default Re: Lightroom 2.3 Contact Sheet "print to JPEG" not working

Try getting a free pdf program and set up a file to print to that, it may just work. I tried a demo of Lightroom when it first came out and the only features that impressed me were the print ones. Only problem with those is that it did not like HP drivers for two pro printers that I had at that time and would print in blocks with one colour missing then all the colours were fine. If I put the same file through Photoshop no print problems.
    With all Adobe software that I have used if the temp file is left behind after closing the program down it will make for some kind of problems so if you see a temp file thats attached to Lightroom delete it.
    IP

Do you have any recommendations for a good PDF print program that will create contact sheets with D90 NEF files? If you do, I'd love to try it out.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by RushNP774 View Post
    Do you have any recommendations for a good PDF print program that will create contact sheets with D90 NEF files? If you do, I'd love to try it out.
    Shouldn't matter which RAW files you currently have open in LR, LR will spool them to the PDF printer anyway.

I use PDF ReDirect (freeware version) which has colour space and quality settings
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Shouldn't matter which RAW files you currently have open in LR, LR will spool them to the PDF printer anyway.
    I'm on Windows and don't have an option to print to PDF, only to the printer or JPEG file. Why Adobe built the print to PDF feature into only the Mac version, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I use PDF ReDirect (freeware version) which has colour space and quality settings
    Thanks for the recommendation. I did some research on that, but can't figure out if it can make a contact sheet of Nikon RAW files. I don't really need any other feature other than the ability to create contact sheets.
    IP

I'm on Windows and don't have an option to print to PDF, only to the printer or JPEG file. Why Adobe built the print to PDF feature into only the Mac version, I have no idea.
    You WILL have once you install PDF ReDirect

Thanks for the recommendation. I did some research on that, but can't figure out if it can make a contact sheet of Nikon RAW files. I don't really need any other feature other than the ability to create contact sheets.
    PDF ReDirect is a PDF Printer Driver.
    It installs as a virtual printer which enables you to 'print to PDF' from any application just as you would print to a physical printer.

It's not a stand alone application.
    So you would select your contact sheet template from LR, select 'Print' then choose the PDF ReDirect 'Printer' from the list.
    IP

Talking Re: Lightroom 2.3 Contact Sheet "print to JPEG" not working

Oh, that's awesome! I misunderstood the point of the application. I'll go try it and report back. Thanks again!
    IP