Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question How to 4 simple .....

Used to use Xare Extreme, totally new to Xara Web Designer.

Normally I used to make a website by "hand", wich is take a css and some nice pictures to get a sort of template, fill it with seo terms like title and metatags, and the body . Mostly done using an advanced php editor.
    All this - put some views on it - can be done with xara Web Designer.

But now the content. To use text in a paragraph, it should be more readable by visitor and searchengine, to use some headings like h1 - h6, strong, bold , list and so on.

Question 1:
    Couldn't find any word about it in the help, local and on the web.

Question 2:
    Yes , I could find the placeholder, to put a lot of content in a textarea.
    Suppose, I can drop here some php/html content, but what is the maximum size before .....
    For instance I am using a lot of advertiser product-datafeeds, needs about 130 lines of code.
    Unlimited ?

Question 3:
    Between full use of Xara Webdesigner and using php editor and some pictures out of Xara Extreme, is making a graphic design of a template, from the result Xara Web Designer produces a css form and the pictures, ready to do the rest of the game with an other editor.

Question 4:
    Export is only possible to the server , needs ftp data. Why not export to a local directory, can export with the help of an existing ftp program. Besides , I can read the code, now it's in hexadecimal rather difficult.

Any help on this simple questions ?

Default Re: How to 4 simple .....

Quote Originally Posted by saranewbie View Post
    To use text in a paragraph, it should be more readable by visitor and searchengine, to use some headings like h1 - h6, strong, bold , list and so on.

Question 1:
    Couldn't find any word about it in the help, local and on the web.
    See this: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36820
    Question 2:
    Yes , I could find the placeholder, to put a lot of content in a textarea.
    Suppose, I can drop here some php/html content, but what is the maximum size before .....
    For instance I am using a lot of advertiser product-datafeeds, needs about 130 lines of code.
    Unlimited ?
    You can put about 30'000 characters of code into a single placeholder. You can put as many placeholders as you want on a single page.
    Question 3:
    Between full use of Xara Webdesigner and using php editor and some pictures out of Xara Extreme, is making a graphic design of a template, from the result Xara Web Designer produces a css form and the pictures, ready to do the rest of the game with an other editor.
    Is it question or statement?
    Question 4:
    Export is only possible to the server , needs ftp data. Why not export to a local directory, can export with the help of an existing ftp program.
    Main menu / "Export website..." - exports to local directory.
    Besides , I can read the code, now it's in hexadecimal rather difficult.
    Bizarre sentence... I'm guessing you can't read the code because it's hexadecimal? Then what code are you talking about? Web Designer produces ASCII XHTML. Not in hexadecimal.
    John.

Hello Sarah or Sara

1. Web Designer is WSYWYG so the text functions are more basic than the old HTML <H1>, etc. Just add your text where you want it and how you want it and in the size you want it.

2. You need to create a placeholder object, usually a rectangle and position it on the page where you want the the object it is placeholding for to appear. The appropriate script, link, etc. is added in the Website Properties dialog > Placeholder tabbed section.

3. ? Not clear.

4. It is best to export to a local directory first before you upload your files to your web host's server.

Create a folder and export your site to this folder. This can get a bit prickly because there are still some "opportunities" remaining here. I have found that exporting a site to a folder (on my desktop usually) does not produce any files. Adding an extension to the index file (.htm or .html) often does the trick, but not always. I am sure this is an oversight on the part of the Xara team and will be fixed soon.

Hello covoxer and gwpriester,

That IS fast, your answer.....

first "saranewbie" is "male.... fanatic", a result for x=>sara and newbie in 2006.

Trying to learn something, esp. in a foreign language, is like driving with a new car license, too much to handle in the same time.
    Did not see the option "export website" but only export and publish, so I tried to read the .web file wich is a executable file and therefor in my editor readable in hex-figures.

In the meantime I saw the result in a htm file. human readable.....Question 4 is solved.

Question 3 was not a statement, but indeed a question. Of course, a combination of a headerbar, one or two pictures is simple to make in Xara Extreme, point out the distances and make a css sheet. Because of the name Web designer, dropping a css sheet would not be so difficult because all measures are made already.

Question 2 , the php code and the placeholder : 30'000 characters of code into a single placeholder, is nice answer, clear enough. If 80 characters in use, it leaves 375 lines in full.

But, Question 1 :

Well, I followed your link and have read a comment from 10 March 2009, 03:06 PM, by Charles Moir.
    I do understand now, this forum is not the place to discus seo items.
    Never experienced that sort of beheaviour to commercial customers.
    So let it be unsolved, I'm a prof.affiliate with appr.40 websites.

Regarding to your answers on the other items : thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by saranewbie View Post
    But, Question 1 :

Well, I followed your link and have read a comment from 10 March 2009, 03:06 PM, by Charles Moir.
    I do understand now, this forum is not the place to discus seo items.
    You can discuss this in our "Site Design and Publishing" forum. See the (reopened) thread "[Suggestion] Implementing H1 Headings without coding".

Regards,
    Remi

Yes, thank you Remi. I was not able to find this thread. This one is better to read regarding Q1.
    John.

Yes, the thread was difficult to find because it was first closed (not from my side) and then deleted (again, not from my side), but in my eyes such discussions are important, therefore I've reopend the mentioned thread.

Remi