Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Paste into text box

Is it possible to copy text from somewhere and paste it into a text box so that you can edit it?
    I am starting to change my web site to use Web Designer and I don't want to have to retype stuff(my typing is hopeless).

Thanks
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Default Re: Paste into text box

Yes Though I tend to paste into Notepad first and save if there's a lot of text, just in case I mess-up something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14-04-2009_.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	59402  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Grace,

Yes it is possible and very time saving, but make sure you use a restrained text box, don't just copy and click paste or your text will go all over and after you fix it, it will probably over run the page. I have found it best to draw a restrained text field, then paste the text in and edit as needed.

Hope this helps you out some...
    RaZzLE

Hi Grace,

Please see the Xara Web Designer help file topic 'Text Areas'.
    This will explain all you need to know about the WD Text tool including tips and how to count entered characters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text area.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	59406  

Thanks. I had tried it and it did not seem to work. Worked fine this time:-).
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

If the text already has formatting (say it is being copied from a Word document) note that when you paste into Xara-WD a little dialogue will ask you if you want to paste as 'Rich Text Format' or as 'Unformatted Text' or 'Enhanced Metafile'.

The 'Rich' one will preserve whatever formatting was in the copied text. That can be useful but you run the risk of having a mash of different formatting on your page that you might have to reformat latter. Typically (unless I have a conscious reason to want the old formatting) I just use the 'unformatted' option. With it the pasted text will have whatever formatting you had set in Xara-WD.

Note that if you have copied unformatted text (as happens if you copy from Notepad or some emails) then when you paste Xara-WD is smart enough to not give you the options.

The metafile option is really only useful with text if you want the vectors. It might be useful someday but is likely to be infrequently used.

Regards, Ross