Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poof!... and it all went away!

Been using XWD about a week or so. Have been working on a site with 7 pages, some graphics, nothing too elaborate. Have been saving files often and backing up to flash drive. Saved and exported site/files earlier today before closing XWD for awhile.

Open XWD back up and try to open my saved site/files and they are all blank now. All 7 pages are there but they are all blank. Each page still has the website properties intact (page name, description, etc.) but every page is totally blank.

Tried opening the *.web file from both the HDD and the flash drive with the same result from both.

Ideas? This is not good, alot of work to re-do all of this. Looking for solution if anyone has ideas.

Thanks,

Rob

Default Re: Poof!... and it all went away!

Hi Rob, Welcome to TG.

Yes very annoying.

Rename a copy of you your .web file to .xar and try Expandxar

If you aren't comfortable with command line tools, there' a GUI font end utility for expandxar available here

Let us know if you have any luck.

Rob,

First off when in doubt, reboot. Second, if you are using a Windows machine, I would try to use system restore and see if you could get it to work that way, maybe you can get atleast some of it.

One question though, did you try to import an animated graphic or anything before closing? Just saying from experience, I imported an animated .gif file once and poof, all of my pages went blank. Luckily I just clicked undo and all was good again...

Other than that, I don't have any other options...

Hope this may help some...
    RaZzLE

Thanks for the help, but nothing worked, including the ExpandXar suggestion. I guess the file got corrupted somehow, apparently before the last backup copy was saved. I'll start again from scratch I suppose.

Good experience to start over I guess as I was just learning XWD anyway and will probably change a few things and will backup more often with versioning this time.

Razzle, I did not import an animated gif or anything other than some .jpg's and .png files. Anyway, all is not lost as I still have the ideas I was using and it's not a time dependant project anyway.

I've been doing html for years but this is the first time I have tried using a wysiwyg style editor so I have alot to learn. I have most all of Xara's products so it will be fun I'm sure.

Thanks again,

Rob

I may be stating the obvious, but it's worth a mention. If your pages are all there, but blank, is it possible that the layers are very simply unchecked in the gallery (making them temporarily invisible)?

Curtis you are right - often we can overlook the simplest of things because we struggle to find a (deeper) reason to understand a problem.

Let's hope you're right and Rob's work is safe.

I thought something like that may be going on too. When I use the open file dialog and select the .web file before opening it, a image of one of the pages displays in the preview window with the images and text on it, however once I open the file all 7 pages are just blank.

I tinkered with the layers gallery some but nothing I tried changing there made any difference. It sure looks to be a layer type issue though.

Anyway, I'll just recreate the whole project and do it better and continue learning more about XWD. I sure have alot to learn about it and need to spend more time in the help files for sure.

Thanks for all the input. I do appreciate your fast attempts to help.

Rob

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

There is a very handy little application Called XaReg that was written By Bill Tayor (Soquili), and Steve Ledger (Sledger) It is available At XaraXone.com on the Shareware page. you can use it to set hidden registry items, one of which will make .bak copies when you save. It has saved me more than once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks Frances, I'll look into that.

Rob, could you post your web file?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host