Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Soft Groups covering multiple web pages?

Is it possible to make a soft group that includes all the pages of a multi-page website? I had one button on a multiple page site that needed the link changed and I had to change the link on each page separately. Is there a way to link them all together so changing on one changes them all?

Default Re: Soft Groups covering multiple web pages?

jimhanus,

Yes, thats one of the great features of XWD. Right click on your button, select names. In the Apply Names field, type in
    Repeating:Name <-- Whatever you want your name to be and then click add. With the button selected, either goto Arrange and select Repeat on all pages, and that will create the button on all pages or if you already have your button on all the pages in different locations, then you will have to got to each button and right click it and select names and in the Apply Name field, drop down the menu and select tha name that you added a few steps back. Do this to all of your buttons that you want linked with the initial button, then goto Arrange and select Update Repeating Objects. That will take care of all of your buttons and if you make changes to the one of the buttons, make sure and goto Arrange and select the Update Repeating Objects Menu to update all of your buttons with the new changes.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by razzle0146; 13 April 2009 at 09:26 PM.
    RaZzLE

Razzle0146,
    Your link isn't working.
    I tried as you suggested and it worked pretty good. But, it moved the button on some of the pages to a different location. Any idea why it would do that? The subsequent pages are duplicates of the first page so everything should stay in the same location..

jim,

Link is working now, sorry bout that. Did you copy and paste button on the pages or did you use the Repeat on all pages option?
    RaZzLE

The link works directly if you remove .html, but it takes ages to download before it plays though.
    Also Razzie, the video is terrible quality, by looks of the player controls you are using the freeware CamStudio - I've had poor results form CS in the past and ended up getting the (expensive) Camtasia.
    It's best to try to keep the recording resolution at a size that even small 17" monitor can read clearly.

Have you tried ScreenToast? It's a free online screen recorder.

Please also consider embedding flash tutorials in your post rather than leading people away from TalkGraphics.

Edit: Razzie corrected the link as I was writing my post. But it still takes too long for most people to wait because it doesn't stream.

Razzle0146,

I named them and used Update Repeating Objects. Doesn't really matter now as I had to go to each one and fix it to be sure it was right. There were only 6 so not a big deal, but it will be very useful on the next project. Thanks!

jimhanus,

Glad you got it working... If you need anything else, just ask..

Thanks..
    RaZzLE

sledger,

Thanks for the info, didn't realize it looked bad on others screens, cus when I preview it, it looks great, but I will for sure take your advise and get that free recorder and also start embedding the swf files.

Thanks for the info...
    RaZzLE