Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navbar builder

Default Re: Navbar builder

I just downloaded XWD and decided to read these posts before I try to do a nav bar with drop-downs (popups?) so I don't have to reach the level of frustration shown by others here. I have done nav bars in other apps and have definitely known such frustration. I agree with Suzzy that a really basic video on nav bars would do a world of good. Please, somebody, can you do a nav bar how-to video!!

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Last edited by katpiper; 30 April 2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: forgot to sign it

There is SO SO much on Nav Bars, including a lot of frustration. I have been able to simulate them by using popups but, What a mess, layer after layer. Despite the 'offered' ease of Webstyle and Placeholders this alternative is not easy to achieve.

Countless lengthy videos of how to achieve navbars does seem to suggest something is amiss.

With so much correspondence you would think Mr Xara Web Designer would have done a Mr Microsoft & released a Service Pack which included Nav Bars. There does seem to be a very distinct theme continuing to raise its head. It would be interesting to count the postings on this theme. Suzie's posting with its frustration levels a weeny bit evident, does say it all.

Web Designer is my favourite web builder but it does have a few shortcomings. Navbars is definitely top of the list. Give us SP1 please.

Yes. But the most funny thing is that all those posts came later that I explained that we are planing to add this feature in the following version.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Suzzie, I think your frustration of building drop down menus is because you were trying to follow instructions step by step, without understanding what are you trying to achieve.
    This is sooo true!
    I spent many hours last week trying to do it the step by step way.. it didn't work an I hated it and everything, swearing loudly, luckily there were no children near me..

But today I started to look behind the steps and it all came together.. It took some hard thinking and 'brain-sorting' but now I am the proud creator of a really cool navbar!
    And the next one will be done much faster and with less effort.
    www.chillheimer.de

I have to agree that a simpler NavBar creator or better (easier) instructions is needed. I'm still trying to figure out how to have text links on a dropdown popup change color on mouse over.

Created popup with 4 text links. (works fine).
    Created new layer "MouseOver Seminar Popup" on top of "Seminar Popup" layer.
    Duplicated text links (copy - paste in place) and gave different fill color. Made sure they were on "MouseOver Seminar Popup" layer.

But still no color change when mousing over popup text link.

Site: www.ego-motive.com

I will eventually figure it out. Point is that it isn't easy to figure out (at least first time) - and since Navigation is key to all sites - this is an area I would like to see addressed in next update.

(I'm building this site for a client - testing WD abilities. One thing I noticed is the person viewing the website better have the same fonts you used or everything gets messed up.)

Thanks for this forum! -- Bob

Welcome to TG Forums Bob,

Yes - stick with Web Safe fonts for text Bob.
    You can use fancy fonts if necessary, but 'group' the text to force XWD to output that text as an image.
    And don't forget to add ALT text to that image to give something for Google to read .

You will find all these tips and many more in the general Web Designer and Xtreme forums.