Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Re: What I'd like to see in Web Designer

Being able to import existing websites would be good, or is that already there?
    Jon
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jon spain View Post
    Being able to import existing websites would be good, or is that already there?
    I don't believe you'll find a WYSIWYG web designer that could do that, anywhere. The problem of parsing and translating arbitrary HTML/CSS code into the local proprietary format used by all such programs is, I believe, well nigh unsolvable--at least at the affordable level.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com
    IP

Being able to import existing websites is close to impossible I'm afraid. In order to do that we'd have to interpret the HTML, CSS, Javascript and create a layout that is an exact replication of what a web browser does. In effect that IS a Web browser. And since the likes of Microsoft, Netscape/Mozillla (Firefox), Opera have been struggling to produce a reliable or compatible browsers for 10 years or more, this is just not practical.

So while it would be truly great to be able to load existing websites and edit them, I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future.
    IP